Chapter 48 - The Secret of the Silence

Breakfast was a flirty and pleasant affair and Madison's plan for the rest of the day was simple; make as much physical contact with Daniel as she could to let him know he was the only man she thought about. To that end she made breakfast into touchy-feely time, which included some very direct strokes of his calf muscles with her bare right foot.

When Daniel didn't object Madison took the opportunity to sit in his lap and kiss his neck. His body stirred and that encouraged her, but before she could press her advantage, Daniel excused himself and explained that he needed to write some more. Undeterred, Madison insisted on a deep kiss followed by a bear hug that mashed her breasts into his chest. Daniel left the house with a smirk on his face, and Madison, keen for any opportunity, nearly pursued him to the cabin, but thought better of it. She had made enough progress the last two days that she didn't want to jeopardize it with a rash move.

After a shower, Madison retrieved her cell phone and rang up the final person on her list; Daniel's sister, Diane. The phone rang four times before Diane answered it and Madison could hear Diane's children in the background.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Diane. This is Madison."

"Oh. Hello."

There had always been awkwardness in this relationship too. Madison never really had much contact with Diane since the day Rosalina chewed Madison's butt off in the kitchen, and Madison knew Diane would be suspicious why Madison had called her.

"Daniel is OK, Diane," Madison explained. "I just wanted to talk to you."

"Give mommy a minute," Diane said to one of her children. "I'm sorry. Talk to me about what?"

"Daniel."

More awkward tension. Madison sighed inwardly. Diane had been the one who explained why Daniel's mom didn't like Madison, so this would not be an easy conversation in any case.

"I see."

"Diane, I know I'm not your favorite in-law, but I really need some help right now."

"Oh?"

"Yes, Daniel and I have some trouble, trouble between us, and it's because of something I did. I need to talk to someone who knows him so I can figure out how to make this right."

"I see."

Madison waited and, since Diane did not say anything, told the story. Confession just seemed like the right thing to do if she wanted help with the situation. Diane listened quietly with periodic interruptions to direct her children's preparations to go to the park.

"So that's it," Madison finished. "And now I need to fix this for Daniel. Is there anything you can tell me?"

Diane considered for a moment.

"Madison, this is kind of awkward for me."

"I understand."

"No. No, you don't. You see it's awkward because I don't really know Daniel very well."

Madison's eyebrows knit in surprise.

"You don't?"

"No. Not really. He's a tough person to get to know."

Madison nodded with that sentiment.

"You see, I, I can't believe I'm admitting this to you of all people, but I hated Daniel when we were younger."