Forty Nine-Epilogue

Imani

                 SIX MONTHS LATER

"Pour me a full glass of wine, please," I say to the new bartender of J's Bar. Jabar's roommate, to my notice, has put on much more weight. He flashes a smile but, sadly, it doesn't remind me of Jabar. Gosh, I miss him and his swaggerlicious ways. I remind myself to be on the prowl for young men who enter the bar from now on. I'm not ready for a relationship but I definitely could use some really good fun and passion.

I watch the wine get splashed into the glass. This isn't my first drink. Trust me, I did it right after the infamous trial. When I give him his tip, he pulls an offended face. "Oh, come on, ma'am. It's on the house."

I return his smile. "I insist. I don't feel comfortable not paying for stuff, you know."

"Well, here at J's Bar, you better get used to it. We don't usually let celebrities tip. Unless it's a fat one." He winks at me.

I shake my head. "Well, I say it's a ridiculous rule." I pull some extra notes out of my purse and slam it on the counter.

His eyes bulge. "Dayuum. Is it Christmas already?"

I chuckle. "It probably is. Go ahead. You've earned it."

The young bartender lifts his eyebrows. "You serious?"

I nod. He looks sideways before accepting my big tip.

"Hoowhee! You are my favorite customer in the world." Tending to his bottles, he flicks his gaze back at me. "And, of course, you're always a badass for what you did. Hey, if you want anything, just ask. I'll provide without hesitation."

I probably should ask him to hook me up with some of his college friends but I keep it to myself. Instead, I focus on the new book I bought by Stephen Khuli. It's intriguing and...different. A bit graphic for my taste though. People, after spotting me, ask why I'm seated in the exact chair from the night of my drugging and kidnapping. But over the months, I realized trauma can be controlled and fought against. I scan the brand-new phone I bought and notice Yvonne has not answered my calls. I spot a text message explaining why. We usually hang out here on weekends, but today, she was called for a meeting.

After a couple of hours, I don my shades, and fasten the black hat covering my black curls (It's so good to have my hair back to its original style) and get myself ready to leave. But only when the bartender gives me the signal. You can never expect the paparazzi. He looks at his watch and then nods at me. I then follow my cue. Using my black cane, I march outside, straight into the ordered Uber waiting for me. I make room for my personal security guard, Mowgli.

As we drive, I urge the driver to step on it before the photographers start popping out. It's no surprise after and during the trial, I ended up becoming famous for being Bernadette's doppelganger.

Jabar gave his confession to the police and in court, along with the recording of the sessions Thabo had to brainwash and hypnotize me. After thorough investigation, Jabar ended up having his sentence reduced, and in a few years' time, he'll be eligible for parole. As for Thabo, it was satisfying watching him squirm under the prosecutor's eyes. It turns out she was one of his ex-fiancées whom he also shared with Jabar.

He, as well as Baduza, a few officers, the doctor and surgeon got five years to life. With connections everywhere, I'm betting Thabo would be out sooner than expected. Then there was the main star of this whole case. The one who steals the show everywhere she goes. People tuned in as soon as it was her turn to make the stand. Throughout the trial, Bernadette convinced herself and everyone she was me.