What Fate Has In Store

As he browses the shelves, Jude points out that I had forgiven the city and the royal family rather easily. He finds it surprising.

"Oh, truly?" I ask.

He glances at me sideways from down an aisle. "Yes, I did. Considering you are not the most trustful person."

"I'm not?" What part of traveling with a bunch of strange men in a strange country wasn't trusting?

He must sense my train of thought. "What you did was brave, but reckless. I'm not surprised that Dunbroch feels remorse. Sending a single woman to travel all by her lonesome with few defense skills is not an honorable action especially when news of that woman's travels spread all over the country."

"My quest went all over the country?" This was news to me. It did not seem that anyone knew whenever we stopped at villages.

"There are people from all over Scotland here, Agnes. Did you not meet any last night while dancing?"

"No."

"You danced with many men last night. I am surprised."

"I was trying to stay awake and enjoy myself, Jude. It was not easy—until I got swept away in it all. And as you said, I danced with a lot of people. I cannot remember them all. Why do you even care how rapidly I forgive? I thought it was a good thing." I cross my arms and glare broodily out the window. I didn't like to be interrogated. Plus, Jude had no right to lecture me on whom I was loyal to, considering his born leader was an ass.

Jude sighs and walks up to the table, his boots making hollow thuds on the floor. It was strange having another person in the small room with me. He pulls a tiny stool over from a dusty corner and sits in front of me. I don't look at him. "Agnes," he says. His voice is beseeching. I continue to stare out the window. I am still wary and a little fiery thanks to my spat with Robin.

"Agnes," he says again and reaches for my hand. I turn my glare full-force on him. He holds his hands up. "Alright," he consents. "That was unfair of me. But I am only worried."

"What could you possibly be worried about?"

"You and what you have gotten yourself into. It's a dangerous world, sister. I would not have it rip you apart."

I snort. "Believe me, Jude, I am well aware of the perils of this world."

"Do you?" He asks. "Because no woman in her right mind would agree to travel with strange men just to find a girl whom she had only known for a few short weeks."

"Not any woman you have met before me. And where I come from, women travel by themselves all the time and are fine." I sit up straighter and tip my chin up.

"You are from a different country, a different world, I imagine. That can be the only explanation of your boldness—"

"There are plenty of women here who are bold."

"Scotland is not like your home, Agnes. I am telling you this because MacLeod and I have noticed you are like Robin—" he raises a finger when he sees my appalled face—"only in the way that you two are willing to do anything to get what you want."

I lean back. "You think I am staying here so I can get something from Dunbroch. You do not think my love for them is genuine."

"No, no. I do believe it is genuine. I truly do. Yet that is what concerns me. You were so desperate to belong here that you went on a wild goose chase with only a whiff of a lead. You had no idea where it would go or what you would encounter. From my perspective, you did not seem to care for your own personal safety, just as long as you reached your goal."