Sherades

I am so drained when we stop for the night I have to force myself to eat the now-cold sausage Ferdinand had cooked.  I had been concerned they would ask me to cook, as I was the only woman in the company, only to have MacLeod tell me before I could feign interest that I was lady, so I would not be doing any cooking.  I had pretended uncertainty, inquiring if they were sure.  Robin had shrugged along with Jude, while Ferdinand shyly told me he enjoyed cooking.  Isen could care less, as long as there was food.   Thus, it wasn't an issue.  Having a lady's status sure has its advantages.

The horses are all put up and I helped make the fire with Isen, who kept up a monologue until MacLeod had ordered us to eat and be quiet.  Jude joins me on the middle log, one of three in a half circle around the fire.  "Look what I got," he says and flares the map Robin had snatched from me right after dismounting in front of my tin plate.

"How'd you get it back?"  I inquire, glancing at the scroll.  The lines and simple sketches depressed me; it reminded me of how large this country was.  Made even larger with the only transport being four hooves and a tail.

"Robin and MacLeod were arguing over it, so I slipped it between them during a heated discussion."  Jude unfolds the map and studies it.

So that's what they were doing.  I recall the two hastily moving away from the fire right after eating.  I could just make out their silhouettes in the dimming evening light, Robin's hands holding the map in front of them both as MacLeod traced a finger on an invisible path. Between small conversation between Jude and Ferdinand and lethargically eating, I noticed the two frequently tossing their hands up in the air or their mouths moving quickly, as if angry.  I feel out of the loop, where just a moment ago I was too fatigued to give it much thought: I need to make sure we are heading in a potentially successful direction.

I lean back and forth on the log, straining to see Robin and Macleod with what little light is left.  "Why was I not invited?  I did instigate this company after all."  I look to Jude.  He sighs and runs a hand through his attractively messy hair.

"I am sure they took the considerations you laid out in the village earlier.  Robin and MacLeod... they are just used to taking everything into their own hands.  Especially Robin."  He takes my plate as I am obviously disinterested and hands me the map.  He lowers his voice.  "You must forgive them, Lady Agnes.  MacLeod will willingly hear your thoughts.  Robin, contrarily, will most likely shrug them off unless you are assertive.  And not because you are a woman.  For the reason--"

"He is just accustomed to his ideas being correct," I finish.  I had spied the two men in question in the same spot, though appearing calmer.  I felt a little guilty for making Jude feel the need to explain his leaders; I should be able to figure them out and handle them on my own.  "That is fine.  We all have our habits and flaws.  I tend to make hasty judgments, so you must forgive me if I do about you and the rest of the Clan Conn. We will just have to learn more about one another." I grimly stare at the map as I recall the hateful look Robin had cast on me upon mentioning I was a Dunbrochian. 

"I fully agree, my lady.  It will make the journey less rocky.  Perhaps we could start with one another?"  Jude suggests, looking at me hopefully.  I sigh with a tired smile and fold the map, tucking it under my thigh.

"We may.  Oh, and it's Agnes."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not an hour later Jude and I are exchanging stories of various escapades.  I tell him of the few adventures Merida and I had and he tells me of the adventures the comapny has had.  I have no doubt I sound overly enthusiastic and wistful when speaking of Merida and I while Jude's stories are hilarious and informative.  Through his stories, I can see another side of the members: MacLeod has a sense of rather dark humor; Isen loves to sing; Ferdinand will recite ballads in his sleep; and Robin is actually cheery at times, even fun.  I found all of these hidden traits difficult to believe until the rest of the company joined in.  Poor, bashful Ferdinand got beet red when reminded how he had sung a ballad in his sleep in a cave and scared the town below into thnking there was a monster dying in it.  MacLeod inserted sarcastic comments during serious climaxes in Jude's stories and Isen sang an old sailor's song when prompted.  While he isn't Adam Levine, his voice certainly would make the swoon-worthy list of any fangirl.  And Robin, as shocking as it was, smiled here and there.  Unlike Alistair and Merida, who didn't have to smile to appear friendly, Robin's sharp features and coarse attitude only appeared to smooth under a wide, white grin.  The events of his past had truly been hard blows to his character.