Begin

The castle gate has to be closing behind Dove and I when dawn's earliest light shines on the Highlands.

I hardly sleep.  Even though I am exhausted, I have to prepare for the journey.  The journey to where, I haven't the slightest idea.  I ask Dairen and she says she can only recommend going from town to town and ask if anyone had seen the princess.  If I do that, I will be travelling for weeks, as the towns are far apart and tiny.  I have very little hope.  Merida was probably in a different time zone.

I managed not cry over the impossibility of the whole situation last night, but with my things all packed and Dairen fixing my hair one last time in a tight braid, the tears are threatening to beat me.  Without looking away from her work, Dairen says, "Now, no tears, Lady Agnes.  Dunbroch women do not cry just because things do not go their way."  Even though I felt those words did not apply to me and my situation, I take a deep breath through my nose and push my shoulders back.

When she is finished, Dairen double checks my two small bags, one for food the other for other provisions, while I tighten the laces on the boots Queen Elinor had brought me.  They were Merida's travelling boots.  I had thought it was a sick joke, the Queen knocking on my bedroom door, offering a gift when twenty minutes ago she had let the King kick me out.  But then, I saw her face.  It was tired and sad.  The thought of the bear and the bow story convinced me that Queen Elinor had not stood up for me for a reason.  What reason I did not know, but that didn't really matter, because in truth, she knew and the King knew I was the only person with any real chance of finding Merida. 

"Agnes," she began quietly, "I know you must feel betrayed, but there are two reasons why I did not support you in the court room."

"One being that no ne else has any real chance of finding her." It hurt too much to say her name.

"Yes,"  She looks at me almost miserably, a look that shocks me so much it must show clearly on my face because she quickly slaps on her serious dame face.  "The second being that you must prove to all of Dunbroch, not just the King, but all of the clan, that you are truly trustworthy and capable of being a leader."

Wait a second, I thought I had already proved that.  This must have shown on my face too, because the queen goes on.  "The people love you, yes.  But they want and need a woman who is not just a kind word or a smiling face.  They want a woman who will help their leaders lead them."

I am confused.  "Are you stating that the people of Dunbroch want a diplomat between themselves and the monarchs?"

"That and someone they can count on when the monarchs are occupied elsewhere."

"A steward, in other words."

"Precisely.  A leader who will always be there for them even when the higher rulers are not.  A person of their own who thinks of no one but her own."  In other words, the Dunbroch clan has security issues.

I rubbed my forehead and feel the need to say everything out loud to make sure I got it all correct. "Dunbroch wants a steward to help keep the wheels turning when things go awry and a diplomat to be their voice and representative to the rulers.  And, as you said 'spiritual', I assume you mean that they also want a person they can count on to lift their spirits and continue fighting, whether it be war or famine."

She nodded and then gave me the boots with a short history of them an their rightful owner, maybe and maybe not knowing she gave me more than just the articles.

"But I don't understand why you think I'd be a good candidate," I said.

"You have great potential to be a fine leader, Agnes."