Losing

Instead of the court being full with town leaders and those with complaints speaking of happenings around Dunbroch and any news brought by any present Scouts of the other three clans (Dingwall, MacIntosh, and MacGuffin) as it usually is, all talk is centered upon the triplets' upcoming birthday.  This, of course, concerned all the craftsman of Dunbroch.  So when I walk in, receiving a daggered glare from the ever-jovial Sir Adams, every carpenter, mason, scribe, etc. is standing on the polished floor, chatting with one another.  They step out of the way as I walk past, nodding in acknowledgement.  I approach the thrones, occupied by the King and Queen and the princess, who waves at me excitedly. I curtsy.  King Fergus pats his sword sheath, points to me, and winks.  I smile.  He wants to spar with me afterwards.  Queen Elinor nods her head in approval and I take a seat in the slightly ornate wooden chair next to Merida's throne.  The triplets' bench is empty.

I look around the room and take full advantage of this viewpoint to think about how in just three weeks, my life changed so radically.  I hadn't watched a movie, Googled anything, driven a car, worn pants, or cranked up a radio in 21 days.  And I didn't care.  I felt so good, so happy.  Granted, I hadn't washed my hair in a week and a half or had a bath in three days.  Still, Scotland's climate seemed to keep my hair a lot nicer; even when I took it down at night, it didn't look greasy or even feel greasy.  And I didn't sweat as much here either, which is really strange.  And the adventures I already had: a skunk that fortunately, failed to notice us on the other side of a trail in the woods when Merida and I had been riding; chasing Hamish, Hubert, and Harris through the halls and kitchen; discovering balled up pieces of parchment in a grimy corner of the princes' classroom, drawings of chasing Maudy with a bear head; my first successful hit I delivered to Merida with my sword; my still--healing scratch from Merida's sword; jokes with the Scouts when they came into the stables; and Sir Adams sputtering in protest when Queen Elinor requested that I participate in court.  I glance over at Sir Adams.  I'm surprised his head isn't spinning like a top as he looks from the Queen to the crowd so often and rapidly.  An overeager dog who sulks if nothing is needed of him.

Merida leans over to me and asks about Alistair.  I tell her we will probably be good friends, as he is exactly what a friend should be.  A mischievous grin splits her face.  Uh oh.

"Friends, Merida, friends," I say, putting as much emphasis on the word as possible.

"One never knows.  Alistair is handsome and undoubtedly skilled in his craft, not to mention what a gentleman he is."  Her eyes get this wistful, through somewhat anxious look, as if she is thinking of something unknown that is coming.

"What troubles you, my sister?"  I lay a hand on her arm. It rests there uneasily, but I refuse to move it. If we were going to be good friends, I needed to act like a friend.

"Oh." She laughs and pats my hand.  "I am only thinking of how I have yet to find a more than friends among men."

"Is there pressure for you to marry soon?"  I remember Dairen mentioning the traditional arranged marriage that the Queen and King, with the help of Merida and the other clan chiefs' sons, managed to persuade the other clans to put aside.  Now, Merida and the heirs had two to three years to find true love on their own, no betrothal or arranged marriage. 

"No, not really."  She presses her lips together and looks down at her lap.  "It is just..."

Queen Elinor chooses this moment to take command of the court.  She rises from her chair like a phoenix and raises her hands.  I quickly learned from other court days that she can have even the most high-handed men scrambling to obey her; King Fergus cannot even get them to quiet down.

The crowd quiets to whispers then to silence as everyone turns to the thrones.  King Fergus watched his wife admiredly-- he's not the only one.  "Gentlemen and ladies, you have been called here this evening to discuss a very important event that will be occurring the night before winter," she begins and the crowd nods and leans in, "This event is the Dunbroch's princes Harris, Hubert, and Hamish birthdays."