Charged

I do not stop screaming until the loud wind ceases and I no longer hear the trees snapping and waving.  It is more still than a Good Friday service.  I am shaking: my hands, my legs, my head, my entire body is wracked with fright and a sorrow that for a moment I cannot remember what it alludes to.  I slowly raise my head; leaves, dirt, and pebbles tumble out of my hair.  Tangled strands of it fall into my face.

A small clearing with trees that create a forest surrounding it.  Through those trees, a twilight sun stretches its fingers.  There is no one in the clearing except me.  Tears spring to my eyes as I recollect my sister with curly orange hair, eyes glazed over as they stared at a boulder that eventually took her away from me.  Took her away from me to God only knew where.  I slowly get up, streaking my torn dress with dirt.  I would have cared an hour ago, but no longer.  The boulder was gone and my best friend was gone with it.  Vanished.

Something bumps my leg.  I look down.  A bow is held in my right hand.  Merida's bow.  I swallow and tense my grip, the skin over my knuckles turning white.  I want to call for her, though even if my throat wasn't so scratchy and sore, I wouldn't actually do it.  She was gone.  

Angus cautiously walks into the clearing, turning his broad head this way and that.  I watch him despondently.  He walks all the way around the clearing.  Even if I had a voice, I wouldn't have the heart to tell him his beloved girl had disappeared.  When he finishes walking around the clearing with no success, he comes up to me, gazing at me expectantly.  My eyes are glued to the tips of my shoes peeking out from the hem of my dress.

I don't know what to do.  I just stand there for what feels like ages though it can only be a few minutes.  Dove joins us and presses her head gently against me, as if to comfort me.  Nothing can comfort me.  For it is not just the thought of losing Merida as my friend and sister, it is also the sword in the circle on Angus' blanket that reminds me I have lost the Princess of the Dunbroch clan.

Yes, the princess of Scotland had been stolen by some freakish boulder with freakish time-traveling abilities.  I nearly laugh at the ridiculousness of it.  King Fergus and Queen Elinor thought that my story was outrageous, I could not imagine they would find this story any less--

My hand flies to my mouth as a gasp escapes. My eyes widen in horror.  Oh, gosh.  Queen Elinor and King Fergus.  Hamish, Hubert, and Harris.  A daughter and sister was gone too.

I spring into action, adrenaline singing through my veins.  I clamber aboard Dove, Merida's bow slung on my back, and grab Angus' reins.  We trot briskly out of the clearing and into the brush, ruckus sounding from our hurried steps.  When we hit the path, I squeeze Dove into a canter.  Angus must not be used to being led from another horse because he lags behind and my arms stretches to the point it is almost painful.  I hardly feel it.

As soon as we exit the darkening forest (a shiver running down my spine as we do) I squeeze my calves against Dove's sides even more and she lengthens her stride and speeds up.  I see the castle.  Angus comes neck in neck with Dove, so I toss the reins over his head.  He passes us just enough that his hip is next to my knee.  A stone lands in my stomach.  The temperature has dropped and my breath in my already-sore-from-screaming throat rasps as my nose and ears numb and eyes water from the cool wind.

The castle gate approaches, the sun begins to wave goodbye for the day.  My fear for Merida's welfare and her family's reaction to her absence threatens to become terror.  I focus on the fact that I am now a respected member of the Dunbroch clan; I am favored by the King and Queen themselves.  They will know I would never do anything to harm their daughter.

I would not get your hopes up, distrust warns.  I smack it away.  I hear some shouts above on the castle wall.  Shouts of alarm.  The guards have already noticed that it is only I who has returned; the princess' horse is riderless.  Soon, all of Dunbroch will know that the princess is missing.  I order myself not to panic.