The Test

The days should blur together, but they don't.  I can remember everything I did up to three days ago.  This should not be possible; if I was still in the US, I would never remember what I ate for dinner the night before.  Now, I remember in detail what I did with the triplets on Monday.  Now, I can recall a young boy begging for me to help wake up his mother who slipped and fell, hitting her head.  I remember the sound of my dress swishing as I ran towards the castle, shouting for a doctor/healer and then turn around to follow the boy.  I remember the father of the boy thanking me a dozen times over while holding is now-conscious wife's hand; he begged me to let him make me something.  I wasn't allowed to say no.  I remember King Fergus beaming at me along with Merida, and even Queen Elinor appeared proud.

The feather pen poises over the parchment as I come out of my own little world and back to the tower library, where all the windows are open and sunlight streams in.  As usual, town clatter is hardly heard all the way up here.  What to write next?  I had a full week and a day left before the triplets' birthdays.  Twirling the pen in my left hand, I rest my chin in the palm of my right and gaze out the window closest to the table.

Queen Elinor had noticed how I would fidget during meals and asked me one night what was on my mind.  I had told her I did not know what was wrong with me, because I didn't.  Besides the fact that I was no longer searching for a way to leave, Merida was my sister, I was becoming increasingly attached to Dunbroch and its people with every day that passed on, and I was making a name for myself in Dunbroch clan and I had no idea how to deal with it, I didn't know.  There had to be others reasons besides those.  What were they?

People came to me, asking for advice if Merida or the Queen was unavailable and, somehow, I always seemed to know the correct answer.  Word spread like wildfire, and soon, I am relaying messages from the people to the rulers.  It's beyond weird.

Though Queen Elinor told me she was glad I am thoughtful, she warned it is possible to become too thoughtful.  She gave me the advice to cease thinking for a few moments each day and just write whatever came to mind, hence what I am doing now.  So... what comes to mind?

Trees, paths, leaves patting my face, and the breathing of a horse running beneath me as we ran through woods, racing a redhead on her black horse.  Sore arms attempting to perfect the archer's aim.  Smiling faces and welcoming hands mixed with bubbling chatter surrounding me.  Early morning's song awaking the dusty books and parchments.  Water crashing against the rocks.  Long days and pleasant nights, rejuvenating my once weary bones.  Life.

The Test.  I press my lips together.  I would not emanate any resentment-- if there was still any.  It happened yesterday afternoon.  Merida and I had returned from a particularly thrilling ride (I am beginning to spill my guts to her).  I had been here for about three hours, making great headway on categorizing the books, when a knock was rapped on the door.  I opened it to boy of about twelve years.  Dressed in a kilt and long plaid socks, he swept a bow to me and said "Lovely afernoon, Lady Agnes.  The princess told me to retrieve a book for her."  He grinned toothily at me.

'That's odd.' I think, but let the boy inside. He stands there for a moment looking around.  Then, without so much as a word to me, he stalked to back wall shelf, traced some of the spines, then grabbed one with hardly a glance and headed for the door.

"Excuse me, lad.  I need to know what book it is you are holding,"  I said, stepping in front of him.  Cheerfully, he handed me the book.  I take the book; there was something very odd indeed of Merida sending someone to perform a task for her, she was too independent for that.  Not to mention that this boy was in quite a hurry.