Retreat

I'm tired. And exhausted.

After taking the final exam of the week, I almost feel a huge burden has been lifted off of my shoulders. I can feel a lot of relief in my mind, though a pinch of stress from all the studying I'd done is still there, regardless.

Resting in the shade of an oak tree inside college campus, I wait for Jay to finish his exam. Even though he was fidgeting and sweating bullets in the room while we were being handed our question papers, I was done with the test way before him.

That silly guy.

He probably wants to squeeze out a bunch of answers from the poor girl sitting behind him. I feel sorry for her.

Taking a deep breath with a wide grin, I lay my back flat on the earth.

The chirping of those pesky birds feel rather calming today.

-

"So, what are your plans for the weekend?", Jay asks me, in an annoying tone.

Tch. I know where this is going.

"I don't know. Maybe go out shopping? Might just have dinner at a fancy place. Ooor, just spend the night at home, watching movies."

Jay's eyebrow perked up. Tilting his head a bit towards me, he resumed,

" And chill with the missus. Huh, huh~", he nudges me with a grin on his face.

That last bit might really be true. We've abstained for two weeks now, with the few exceptions of her grinding on my body while she was asleep...but that's not the point here.

"M-Maybe..", I let him in on the deets, with a blush on my face.

Hearing this, Jay takes a swipe at my arm in a playful manner.

"Fuck! I'm so jealous! You get a nice wife, a good home, an amazing future, and the list goes on. Why can't it be the same with me?"

I glance at Jay, sensing a hint of genuine longing in his eyes. He doesn't look too bad, with his short black hair cut in a military-style complimenting his eyebrows along with this stubble connecting to his sideburns that make him look a bit older than he really is.

"You'll get there.", I reassure him with a calming voice.

Walking through the narrow corridors and the orange sun setting down, I recall a talk I had with Anita over dinner.

"Jay", I call out to him to which he tilts his head while walking.

"You aren't in a relationship right?"

"I'm not. Why, what's the matter?", he responds whilst shaking his head.

"This is kinda awkward, but uh...Anita has someone that she wants to introduce you to. Get to know each other. Understand what I'm saying?"

Hearing this, he stopped abruptly, leaving him behind. I stop to look at what's wrong with him, only for Jay to place both of his arms on my shoulders. I flinch with a little bit of disgust as the tension rises high with the silence between us kicking in.

So there we were. Two men staring at each other. After about 30 seconds, which felt like 30 minutes to me, he started shaking me all the while yelling.

"YOU'RE THE ABSOLUTE BEST, YOU KNOW THAT?!"

-

"Here! Over here!!", Mia yelled out loud while standing smack middle of the floor waving her hands side by side. The students around her gave her annoying glares, but she didn't care what others thought about her. A shy and fidgeting Jessica stood alongside her.