8

“How is he, Doctor?” Jennie sat on the edge of her seat as she waited for the man in front of her to deliver her the news. She braced herself for whatever was to come.

“His condition is unstable.” The doctor told her, “The bullet skimmed Mr. Taehyung's skull, leaving damage to his cerebral cortex. Luckily, the bullet did not penetrate his brain.”

“That means…”

“He’s currently in a medically induced coma.” The doctor finished Lisa's sentence, “There’s no telling when he’ll wake up or whether he’ll wake up at all but rest assured, Detective Manoban, we’ll take good care of him.”

“Thanks doctor…” Lisa glanced at his name tag, “Doctor Smith.”

Dr. Smith shot her a quick smile, “No need.”

“Can we visit him?” Jennie asked him this time.

“Of course. His room is the second door on the left. Take as long as you want.” Dr. Smith smile, “If you need me, I’ll be just down the hall.” With that, he left.

Jennie took a glance at Lisa and fidgeted with her fingers, “He’s going to be okay… right?”

“Of course. He’s strong.” Lisa assured the older woman although she wasn’t so sure herself.

“It… it happened so quickly.” Jennie said quietly. “Maybe if I had-“

“Don’t blame yourself, it wasn’t your fault.” Lisa cut her off firmly, “Don’t think about it too much either. He’s going to be okay, he’ll wake up soon.”

Jennie nodded reluctantly.

“I should probably inform the others; you go ahead and see him first.” Lisa decided to change the subject.

“Where are they?”

“In the waiting room.”

“Okay, I’ll meet you guys inside when you’re done.” Jennie told the Lisa before going inside Taehyung's designated room.

Lisa clenched her jaw as she walked down the hallway. She wondered whether it was Ludo’s aim to have Taehyung killed but had failed or whether it was intentional that he had condescended Taehyung into an unconscious state to serve as a warning for everyone else. A message to say: ‘this is what happens when you get involved’.

Lisa exhaled loudly.

She hated this.

She hated it when innocent people got hurt when they become too involved in some of the cases. She hated the fact that Ludo could go around and aim or kill people mercilessly with ease without even considering the impact it could have on other people’s lives. She hated the way Ludo treated everything like it was some sort of game and people were just his pawns.

She turned a corner to see the group of officers waiting anxiously for her in their seats.

“How is he?” Seulgi asked her immediately.

“Coma, his condition doesn’t seem to be bad.”

They sighed, a sign of relief.

“Find anything interesting?” Lisa asked, taking a seat beside Rosé.

“We’ve searched the surrounding area and found a cell phone.” Irene answered her.

‘Cell phone?’ Lisa raised an eyebrow, “And?”

“The team is currently inspecting it back at the station.”

“I’ll check up on them when I get back then.” Lisa said.