Chapter Thirteen: Christmas & Late Night Chats

- Jenessa -

I lugged bags of wrapping paper and presents into the room. Panting, I hurled them onto the couch. I examined the large evergreen standing in the middle of the living room. Sitting on the side of it were stacked boxes probably filled with ornaments and decorations.

"Why does it sme- Oh." Liam stood next to me as well and tilted his head like a confused puppy.

"And I'm going to guess this is our Christmas tree," Louis walked in adding on to the pile of bags on the couch.

"This is going to be tons of fun," Zayn rolled his eyes. By the looks of it, it did *not* seem like any of them were looking forward to putting it up. I sorta just stood there awkwardly, because the truth was, I was trying to stifle from grinning ear to ear like a child. Excited was more like an understatement for me. I've always wanted to put up my own Christmas tree, and if it means sharing it with these boys; all the better.

"Jen, you coming?"

Waking up from my tree gazing, I realized I was the only one left in the room. Everyone else was in the kitchen getting dinner ready.

"Um, yeah, I kinda just zoned out there.."

"You're more than ecstatic to be putting up that tree, aren't you?" Harry leaned on the door frame of the kitchen grinning.

"Very," I admitted laughing softly.

"Then come on and eat so we can get to it," Niall butt in from the dining table.

- Harry -

"I really can't stay." Jenessa sang along to the music as she hung a gold ornament on the tree.

"But baby it's cooold outside," Niall and Zayn sang back.

"I've got to go away." She dramatically put the back of her hand on her forehead, and used her free hand to gesture to them.

"But baby it's cooold outside!" This time Louis and Liam sang back with the lowest voice they could. Shaking my head and chuckling, I stood from the couch.

"This evening has been, so very nice!" She giggled. After hanging a sock over the chimney, I twirled her around as I sang the next line.

"I'll hold your hand, they're just like ice."

Her sweet laugh echoed through the room as she was about to continue.

"My mother will start to worry," Simon joined in as he made his way into the room. We all laughed at this and shook our heads. The Michael Bublé music played throughout the house and it seemed like one of those cliché warm Christmas nights. After about two hours, our tree was just about finished. The evergreen glowed with gold and red ornaments right next to the fireplace. Although it was definitely one of the most cliché scenes I've seen, it was beautiful.

"Looks like we're done," Louis stood by Jenessa as she gazed at in complete awe. Her smile lit up the room better than the Christmas lights could.

"Nope! We need to put the star up!" Liam hurried to grab it out of the now empty cardboard box.

"Li, can I put it up? Please?" She batted her eyes and folded her hands together for dramatic emphasis.

"Of course Jen," he chuckled. Her immediate reaction was jumping off the couch and onto the ladder. I was quick to follow her and hold the ladder steady at the bottom. Niall held on to the opposite side too. She gently laid the sparkling star on the tip top of the tree.

"Wait, let me get a picture. Boys, stand with the tree by Jenessa would you?" Simon grabbed his camera and gave orders. I climbed up the ladder under Jenessa for the photo and Louis took the spot under the ladder with me as well. Niall hung from beneath the ladder while Zayn carried Liam. "1, 2, 3, say Simon!" Our laughs rang throughout the room and the camera shuttered.