Chapter 11: High Order Academy

There were a few more days before the new semester started. 

In addition to Sebastian, three fellow survivors of the Tragedy that unfolded four months prior joined him as transfer students. They were no strangers to him; these were individuals whose lives he had valiantly saved amidst the chaos. Each bore the marks of that harrowing day: one adorned with scars, another marred by burns, and the last emerged miraculously unscathed. As disaster struck various city sectors, he managed to save them from further harm in the nick of time. He hid his identity, arranged for their safety, and, with thoughtful anonymity, provided financial aid to ease their recovery. It was but a humble endeavor to improve their shattered lives.

They were touring the Epoch Isle, but their eyes were empty as they tried to pay attention to what the guide was saying. 

The guide's demeanor spoke volumes; her indifferent attitude suggested this was routine, as if years of exposure had dulled her senses. Following the tour's conclusion, the students dispersed to their assigned quarters.

Sebastian, upon entry, found himself pleasantly contented with his accommodations. The room was wide enough. A kitchenette boasted state-of-the-art appliances and a complete set of utensils, ready for culinary exploits. The bathroom was generously proportioned, featuring a stand-alone shower and a luxurious bathtub. A nook with vacant shelves awaited a personal library, and the panoramic window offered an awe-inspiring view. The sleeping chamber included a walk-in wardrobe and a robust study desk. Additionally, a foldaway table could comfortably host a quartet of diners. Though the refrigerator stood unstocked, it was the pinnacle of modern refrigeration technology. 

They were to procure daily necessities from the dormitory's in-house marketplace, which spanned from the first to the fourth floor. The guide assured them that what they needed was found within these floors. From attire to culinary supplies, crockery and cutlery to bath and hygiene products—this place was poised to cater to their every requirement. 

The High Order Academy decided to support the financial burdens of the students who didn't have homes. Indebtedness was not a concern since the institution graciously provided a monthly stipend. The allowances allocated ranged from a baseline of KN 15,000 to an upper limit of KN 200,000. The precise sum for each month depends on the student's academic year and the cumulative grades. 

The system for new students who hadn't received their allowance yet functioned thus: students were allowed to buy items, and the cost would come from their allowance. If their expenditures exceeded 15,000 KN, they would receive a mere 5,000 KN at month's end, with the surplus charged against the next month's allowance. If they failed to improve their grades by the ensuing month, they would be limited to a 5,000 KN stipend for the subsequent three months. Additionally, they could use the opportunity to earn extra income by working in the shops or restaurants housed within their dormitory buildings.

As for Sebastian, he didn't need to get more personal items since he already had them stored on his device. As for extra security, he installed numerous items in his room. He left a space beside his bed to open the portal leading to his territory. All his necessities were in the tiny device embracing his wrist. 

Sebastian didn't have a name for it, but he knew he couldn't just call it a 'device' when others asked about it. After all, people here were bound to recognize new things. After a short consideration, he decided to call it Memento. That way, they wouldn't pry about it. Speaking of which, he was also required to get a Holowrist as an identification. That should be the first hurdle he would face here. How would he be able to safely detach the microchip from his body and also prevent them from stitching the Holowrist with his skin? 

Skin? Ah, yes. He had an artificial skin recipe he found somewhere in the library of his territory. He should have the time to make it to his laboratory in the evening. 

He sat on the sofa and contacted the drones in the library to search for that recipe to send it to his database. After finalizing his other requests, Sebastian looked through the window. His quarters were in Building 2 of the Male's Dormitory, specifically Room 2109 on the 10th floor. The dormitory featured five buildings that encircled a central park, all interconnected by bridges.

The Academy kept the natural beauty of Epoch Isle intact, balancing conservation with the residents' comfort. It was what they called harmony between humans and nature. 

They advanced their technologies without aggravating the environment, aiding nature's flourishing. This synergy promised the discovery of new materials from Earth's diverse ecosystems.

Sebastian could only look at the excited students below as pitifully ignorant. 

As the clock struck precisely 6 PM, a chime resonated through the male and female dormitories, signaling the time for all residents to convene in the cafeteria for their evening meal. Sebastian emerged from his quarters, securing the lock with an audible click. He lingered in the hallway when the other two transfer students exited their rooms. Meanwhile, the other transfer student was in the Female's Dormitory.

Upon noticing his presence, they offered Sebastian a subdued smile. 

"Hey, Mister Nebati." 

"Hi." 

Sebastian returned their greeting with a smile, offering, "Let's go together."

The person with a prominent scar was Alpherion Ferdin. Alpherion was skeptical of the other's invitation as he tried to know what Sebastian wanted from him. Although they were together when they toured earlier, Sebastian Nebati, Gregor Mabry, and Bernice Folsom didn't utter a single word. Besides, he and Bernice were the only ones who had a terrible disability in their appearance. The other two were handsome and neat. However, they all exhibited the same vacant stare, indicative of lives devoid of joy.

Sebastian urged, "Let's go before the HoverService leaves us."

Gregor and Alpherion looked at each other before following Sebastian as they strode to the elevator. 

Happy reading! 

© to the original owner of the photo

Author's Note: 

As I thought, I didn't last LMAO! Since I also have a lot of side jobs in addition to writing and editing my novel (plus some assistance....) and another addition of chores and taking care of the house, I am close to having a breakdown. KEKW! Don't worry, I will still try to update regularly without the self-implicated stress of deadline UwU. Forgive me QAQ This should be the last chapter of the daily updates! So close! There are only Chapters 12, 13, and 14 to finish QAQ. 

Oh well. I don't want to make any more promises QAQ or else I will suffer. Ehe... Anyway, I'll see you guys in the next update! Toodles~