Chapter 23: Be Done With It

Once the morning classes ended, the absence of scheduled afternoon sessions permitted many students to retreat to their rooms for a post-lunch respite. The class preceding lunch involved three hours of physical training: two hours dedicated to body strengthening and one hour focused on comprehending their abilities.

Sebastian was not exhausted after these sessions, as his daily training regimen was far more intense. Yet, such was the extent of Alpherion and Gregor's fatigue that their hands quivered as they ate, resulting in morsels of food slipping from their trembling spoons.

In the end, they went to their respective rooms to rest.

Sebastian, too, withdrew to his room, greeted by an unexpected surplus of time. Sebastian felt an impulse to list his tasks, a consideration that had never before crossed his mind. Now, with the revelation that he might be an Origin Human, there was much to organize. The gaps in his childhood memories, long ignored, demanded his attention. Even if it meant merely documenting recollections found elsewhere, it would suffice. His trust in everything within his acquired territory was already well-established.

Sebastian interacted with the Memento's holographic notes interface, his mechanical pen gliding through the virtual space. He adjusted the projection's orientation to display over his study table to write his notes.

First on his agenda was to examine the technologies developed at the High Order Academy, including the Holowrist, pills, and liquid he had already gathered data on. Additionally, he planned to scrutinize the assigned missions, survey the entire territory of the High Order—both above and below ground—and discreetly observe all activities within.

Second, he might need to search for additional potential facility locations upon becoming eligible for missions. Recalling that he possessed a recipe for breathable synthetic skin, Sebastian decided to produce numerous face masks for disguises as his risk of detection increased. This alternative provided some security, yet he remained cautious, aware that he should not rely solely on this measure.

Third, Sebastian realized the necessity of reevaluating the assistance he had provided to others. He pondered the possibility of situations similar to Alpherion's, where the intended financial aid did not reach the rightful recipients but instead fell into the wrong hands. Sebastian acknowledged the need for action. However, he also remembered his lack of mercy in such matters.

Fourth, Sebastian recognized the imperative to thoroughly inspect his acquired territory. Given the possibility that he might be an Origin Human—a lineage thought extinct for years—it was crucial to leave no stone unturned in understanding every aspect of his domain.

Sebastian leaned back in his swivel chair, redirecting the projection into the air.

Sebastian faced only three general tasks, yet each encompassed a multitude of subtasks. He surveyed the lengthy list expressionlessly, considering the vast scope of tasks before him.

Perhaps he should pay Hale a visit once she had completed her duties.

[Serberus: Hale, when will you be available?]

Sebastian swiftly closed the message interface, aware of Hale's busy schedule. Yet, within mere seconds, he received an automatically generated response.

[Hatian: Sebby, I'm always free after 5 PM. As soon as I see your message, I'll get in touch with you right away.]

He gazed at the message for several seconds before glancing at the clock; it was only 2:46 PM. There was still plenty of time to attend to his tasks. Nonetheless, he had to keep an eye on Alpherion and Gregor.

It was somewhat troubling that they were mandated to participate in training so soon after surgery. Moreover, at 4 PM, they were scheduled for another procedure to integrate the Holowrist into their bodies. Meanwhile, Bernice, recuperating from a fever in the clinic, was also on the list for the operation. The procedure, which involved attaching the Holowrist to their skin, might seem trivial. However, it was indeed significant. The High Order could have developed safe attachment methods for the operation, provided they had performed it numerous times before, regardless of the student's health.

With that in mind, he headed to his laboratory to craft multiple facemasks, setting an alarm for 3:45 PM.

Before the alarm sounded, Sebastian completed two masks. The first bore a striking resemblance to his features, subtly altered to deceive any recognition systems. The second mask, shaped to embody a feminine appearance, bore scant resemblance to his visage. He intended to seek Hale's assistance to test the fit, ensuring it would conform seamlessly to her facial contours.

Well, revealing the laboratory to Hale was inevitable, and the very thought sent him into a state of heightened alertness.

Sebastian was attempting to calm himself when the alarm erupted violently beside him. He had no opportunity to settle his nerves before being jolted by the jarring sound. Regardless, it was time to check on Alpherion and Gregor so that he could address this matter and put it behind him. 

Happy reading!

© to the original owner of the photo