Chapter 26

(Jack's POV)

Jack wasn't a quitter. It wouldn't be quitting to refuse to do an assignment would it? He was just bored and moving on, right?  It wasn't that he couldn't get Elsa to trust him enough to share information. He just didn't want to. 

Busy rationalizing his not wanting to put in time and effort for something, Jack didn't immediately see who was standing waiting for him in the next room.

As he walked into the room, he looked up to see North and Bunny looking at him seriously.

"What?" Jack asked.

"Let's talk." North said seriously. 

"Uh oh, was this about the pie thing? 'Cause that was totally an accident."

"What pie thing?" Bunny narrowed his eyes suspiciously. 

"I didn't say pie! I said, um, my! My thing. As in none of your business."

"Jack, what did you do?" North questioned.

"Nothing!"

"Yeah, got a lot of nothing coming from you lately." commented Bunny dryly. 

"What's that supposed to mean?" scoffed Jack defensively.

North interrupted before they could start fighting, "We just wanted to check in with you on your mission. How is progress?"

"Oh, ya'know, pretty good."

"So you know everything now?" 

"Jeez kangaroo, 'good' doesn't have to mean 'perfect-and-get-all-you-want-you-know'."

"Oh so what does it mean then?"

Jack thought North would jump in then to de-escalate but instead North looked at Jack expectantly. Also awaiting an answer

"Well I mean, I feel we are more on the same page...sometimes."

This was met with raised eyebrows.

Jack scowled and continued, "There's more trust between us and she is settling in at her at the Workshop. Plus I'm pretty sure I'm getting through to her."

"So then what do you know?"

"That's a very broad question."

"About Pitch, idiot." 

Jack mumbled incoherently.

"I knew it!" Bunny exclaimed, "He hasn't got anything."

"Hey! I have a process!"

Bunny scoffed, "since when have you ever had a 'process?'"

North finally intervened again, "What he means is; where are results Jack?"

"Gosh, it's only been a few weeks since she got here!"

"And you still have nothing."

"I've almost got it. Just you see, we'll know all Pitch's plans in no time!"

Bunny scoffed.

Jack huffed and stomped off.

"Where are you going?" North called after him.

"To get answers, like you wanted, duh!"

North sighed and exited out of another door.

As Jack was on his way out, he felt someone clasp his shoulder. It was Bunny. Jack was about to say something rude but the look in his eyes made Jack hold his tongue. It was a rare moment where they acted as teammates and not enemies.