Chapter 36

Yujin took Wonyoung to another dinner date.

As Yujin and Wonyoung enjoyed their dinner together at a quaint little bistro, the ambiance was cozy, with soft music playing in the background and the aroma of delicious food wafting through the air. They were engrossed in conversation, their laughter mingling with the clinking of cutlery.

However, their tranquil evening took an unexpected turn when a suave-looking man approached their table. He flashed a charming smile at Wonyoung and spoke in fluent English, 

"Excuse me, miss. I couldn't help but notice your beauty from across the room. Would you mind if I asked for your number?"

Wonyoung, taken aback by the sudden attention, exchanged a hesitant glance with Yujin. She was unsure of how to respond, not wanting to be rude but also feeling uncomfortable with the stranger's advances.

Yujin, though outwardly composed, felt a surge of jealousy bubbling within her. She clenched her fists under the table, her mind racing with thoughts of protectiveness and possessiveness. However, she knew that reacting impulsively wouldn't solve anything, especially in a public setting where they were conversing in English, a language not native to either of them.

Suppressing her emotions, Yujin forced a tight-lipped smile and interjected in flawless English, 

"I'm sorry, but my friend is not interested. We're just enjoying our dinner together."

The man, undeterred by Yujin's response, persisted with his attempts to charm Wonyoung. He leaned in closer, his gaze lingering on her, as he smoothly continued his persuasive spiel.

Wonyoung, feeling increasingly uncomfortable, glanced at Yujin for support. Despite her efforts to maintain her composure, Yujin could feel her blood boiling with frustration. She wanted nothing more than to protect Wonyoung from the unwanted attention, but she was bound by the constraints of language and social etiquette.

Desperate for a way out of the uncomfortable situation, Yujin searched for a distraction. Just then, she spotted a commotion at the other end of the restaurant—a server dropping a tray of dishes, causing a brief moment of chaos.

Seizing the opportunity, Yujin quickly stood up, feigning concern. "Oh no, it looks like there's a bit of a mishap over there. We should probably go check if they need any help," she said, her voice laced with urgency.

Wonyoung, grateful for the timely intervention, nodded in agreement, seizing the chance to escape the unwanted attention. They made a hasty exit from the table, leaving the persistent suitor behind.

Outside the restaurant, Yujin and Wonyoung breathed a sigh of relief, grateful to be away from the uncomfortable encounter. However, as they walked down the dimly lit street, a sense of unease lingered in the air.

Yujin couldn't shake the feeling of jealousy that gnawed at her insides, nor could she ignore the unspoken tension between them. She knew that the encounter at the restaurant had stirred up emotions that needed to be addressed, but for now, they walked in silence, their thoughts consumed by the events of the evening.

As they reached the familiar comfort of their house, Yujin cast a fleeting glance at Wonyoung, her heart heavy with unspoken words. She longed to express the depth of her feelings, to reassure Wonyoung of her unwavering devotion, but for now, they remained suspended in the quiet space between them, waiting to be spoken.