September 28

I walked on the path that the lady had told me about. With it in mind, I grew even more restless on the way to the Fog City.
Truth be told, I couldn't really get much sleep. I had to force my eyes to close, which made it even harder to pass the nights.  There was a long road ahead of me and I really needed those extra hours I couldn't get.

At first, I walked on the path of the forest, way deeper than we'd used to go. It seemed pure in the daylight, yet so dark at noon. It was soaking in the presence of creatures we'd haunt, as if they had been waiting for us to go together once more.
The trees were slim, tall and full of leaves threatening to fall; right there, in front of me, was the scenery of wild nature. I scratched myself a few times when I didn't flee from the useless conflicts, and so I walked on the path of a very much alive land.
As a water serpent came my way, I flew again, never in the mood to waste my time. I had a goal, and that goal was much more important than joining any test of power coming my way. I just couldn't see anything else besides the goal in my mind.

I was lucky enough to arrive at the town right next to my destination. The architecture was beautiful, shining above the yellow leaves that had fallen. The roofs of the houses were triangle like, as their edges curved elegantly in such a way that you'd think they weren't even crafted by the human hand. They weren't just places to live in- they were a form of art by itself, living through their finesse.
The town was traversed by a lake, clear as day, which I had taken a break on the side of.
I shifted my weight on the rock, ready to drink some water. My legs hurt and my throat was so dry that I didn't even knew it was possible to get to that point and, if I had to be honest, I hadn't even realized how exhausted I was. I now understood that even if I were to sleep ten hours I wouldn't have been any more rested. It wasn't a matter of the body anymore.
Sighing, I counted my money.
There was really no point in resting more; I was on a mission, and I was going to have you back, even though the road was uncertain. Yet, before continuing, I was going to stop by and
allow myself a glass of fine alcohol to help me concentrate. Ready or not, I walked towards the closest tavern as I took in my surroundings.
I was still nothing but mesmerized.

When I opened the door to the tavern, every person turned their heads toward the entrance. Men and women stared my way.
As one would, I ignored the preying eyes while I took a seat on the wooden bench, waiting for a waiter. Seeing that everyone was staring, she waved a hand and, all of a sudden, they had gone back to minding their business.

"Excuse them, sir. Everyone is on the edge these days."

"And why would that be?"

"Word has it that avarege workers from the HuoLong Sect came to claim some fees, creating havoc as they walk."

I added some extra money on the table.

"Do they also come here?"

"They pass by every house and local. Not yet arrived to ours, however."

I nodded.

"I'd like your specialty dish and a bottle of medium aged wine," I put a hand on the money and pushed it closer to the waiter, "Any information will be rewarded correspondingly."

The waiter seemed pleased by my answer as she hurried back to the kitchen, just to come back with fresh looking spring rolls and the bottle, smiling politely as she did.
I was very hungry, but I slowed my pace, in the hopes that I'd get to see those uninvited guests.

The first day no one came.

The next day, however, I was eating my guizhou* just as a commotion had started outside of the tavern.
There were people talking loudly, yelling at each other and, thankfully, those weren't the sounds of a festival.
It sounded just about right, but I decided to wait. I didn't want to spoil my plan by rushing anything or getting involved too quickly.
I have waited and waited until, suddenly, the singers from the tavern stopped playing.
The guests stopped drinking.
I really couldn't bear it much longer.