Chapter 3- Imogen

Trigger warnings- Suggested cheating 

The bell for the end of lunch rings. I can't believe Liam stood me up. Is this revenge for all the times I've avoided meeting up with him over the past two weeks.

"If you're looking for your boyfriend, he's in the library," my friend Chloe says.

"Ok thanks," I reply.

Why would Liam be in the library? He hates studying and he almost never does his homework. So what's he doing there?

I'll soon find out. We have gym class now and if there's one subject Liam is great at without trying, it's gym.

Around ten minutes later, I'm all changed into my gym clothes.

The coach is talking to Rupert when I head out to the field.

As I get closer, I can hear what they're saying.

"I assure you, I have no idea where Mr Samuels is. I only know that he was very disrespectful to Professor Richards and got sent to the Headmaster's office." Rupert explains.

"I was told by Miss Jiles that he was in the library during lunch, but the librarian claims she never saw him there." The coach replies.

Rupert sees me approaching, "his girlfriend might know."

The coach turns to me, "do you have any idea where we might find Mr Samuels, Miss Parker?"

As much as I'd love to be able to cover for him, the truth is, if he wasn't in the library I have no idea where he is. "No, I'm sorry, I don't."

Just then, the coach's phone rings. Why he still has his phone, I don't know, but whoever's calling him must be important as he answers.

Hello?

Yes sir, he hasn't turned up for gym either.

Yes sir.

He's climbing over the fence now, sir?

Yes, of course, I'll go after him now.

The coach ends the call and starts running across the field towards the south west part of the school. There's nothing but woods in that direction. I have no idea why he's heading over here, but something tells me it's to do with Liam.

Rupert, being the nosey person he is, runs after him. Leaving me with a choice to either stand alone on the field, or run after them. I pick the second option.

The coach charges through the woods. For a few minutes all I can see is trees and bushes, with the occasional view of Rupert's red gym top through all the greenery.

At last, I see the coach has reached the small wall which runs along this part of the campus, which divides the school off from the main road. When I get there, I see him reaching up and grabbing hold of something.

It's only when the coach turns around and Rupert moves aside, that I realise it's Liam. What on earth was he doing?

"I have absolutely no words to describe my annoyance at you, Mr Samuels," the coach says.

Liam doesn't say a word. He doesn't exactly seem annoyed or upset at being caught doing whatever he was doing. It almost seems like he doesn't care at all.

The coach turns to Rupert, "take him to the Headmaster's office, Mr Twickenham, I need to make some attempt to teach the class."

Rupert nods and even salutes. (His family must've been in the army or something.) "Yes, sir," he replies. He grabs Liam's wrist and starts pulling him back towards the school building.

Liam looks at me and gives a small smile. I smile back, but I have no idea why he stood me up at lunch to sneak out of the school.

He always says I'm the most important thing in his life, so what could be important enough that he'd sneak out?

When we get back to the field, Chloe runs over to me, "hey, you ok?"

Chloe is one of the few people at this school who don't talk as if their bank account is bigger than the amount people win in the lottery.

"No," I reply. "Why would Liam sneak out? He was supposed to meet me for lunch. Am I really not that important anymore?"

Chloe looks away. "I hate to be the one to ask you this, but when you do spend time with him, does he always put his full attention on you?"

"Well, sometimes he needs to take what he calls important phone calls."

Chloe winces. "I don't want to say it, but have you considered that he might be cheating on you?"

"No! He wouldn't! He always tells me he loves me. Why would he cheat on me?"

"Well, you haven't...you know, made it to the next stage of your relationship yet. Maybe he got bored of waiting and found some action somewhere else?"

Now I'm crying. Is that really what's going on? I mean, it makes sense. When I think about it more, the phone calls, the sneaking out, and the fact that I haven't taken our relationship to the next stage, it's possible he has another girlfriend. Maybe it's time I finally give in and let him go.