Chapter 18- Liam

Trigger warnings- None

I admit, this was a rather rash decision. I know that when I said to my dad that I wanted to propose to Imogen, he was surprised and asked me if I was sure she was the one, and that we weren't too young. I know proposing to her on her 18th birthday is really early, but I really just want to know that she wants to be together for the rest of our lives like I do. I don't care about actually calling her my wife, I just want to know that I won't lose her again.

I take a breath and start to speak. As usual, I'm winging this because I didn't have time to write a speech that included everything I wanted to say. "Imogen, ever since I first saw you, I knew that I wanted nothing more than to be your boyfriend. When you said yes to that first date, I honestly thought I was dreaming. Sometimes I look at you and wonder what I did to deserve you and I fall in love with you more and more every day." I pause to breathe and I notice tears forming in her eyes. Still, it's too late to stop now. "I love you and I will love you for the rest of my life. I know we're only eighteen and I know proposing to you means I want to get married, and I do, but what I really want this to be is our promise to not leave each other. Because...I can't picture my life without you in it. You are the love of my life, Imogen. I love you, and I will never stop loving you even if the answer to this question is no. Imogen, will you marry me?"

I wait for her reply. When she doesn't answer and instead bursts into tears, I'm tempted to give up and pull her into me as she cries it out, but for some reason, I'm motionless.

"Yes," she says quietly. Then she repeats it a little louder. "Yes, yes yes!"

I stand up and pick her up as she runs into my arms.

"I love you so much," she murmurs into my shirt.

"I love you so much more. I don't think I've ever loved you more than at this moment."

I gently put her down and place the ring on her finger, and she cries even harder. I carry her back to the dorms and she's only just stopped crying when I push the door open and announce, "she said yes!"

The lights in the common area turn on and Rupert, Francis, Edward, Chloe and all our parents are there.

Edward is the first to come over to us. "Congratulations," he says. "I'm so happy for you."

"Thanks, Ed," Imogen replies, wiping tears from her eyes. "I'm happy too."

Her mother comes over and hugs her tightly. She also carefully examines the engagement ring I bought and deems it worthy apparently as she hugs me too. Her stepdad shakes my hand and says, "well done, Liam. Welcome to the family."

"Thanks," I reply, rubbing my hand a little as his handshake is quite rough.

My dad comes over to us as the rest of the party chats amongst themselves. "Well done, Liam." He's quiet for a moment as he holds out a hand, asking for a handshake. I give in and he says four words which almost bring me to tears, "I'm proud of you."

Chloe pulls Imogen away somewhere, probably to give her some advice or talk about our wedding, which probably won't be for a while.

I'm left drinking a beer in one corner, when Rupert comes over to me and joins me in leaning against the wall. "Well done. You've made her so happy."

"I know, but I'm sorry," I reply. "It must've been hard for you to watch me and Imogen date for so long when you like her too."

"Liked her," he corrects. "I'm dating someone else now."

"Oh really, who?" I ask, then stop myself. "Sorry, it's none of my business."

"No. It's fine. It's uh...a guy. The boy who's dorm room's next to mine. Kamil."

"Wow, I'm happy for you. Good job."

"Thanks, but it's early days. Anyway, I'm happy for you and Imogen. If there's ever anything I can do for you. Just ask." He says, and he's about to walk away when I stop him.

"You know. A thing that's really popular these days is for a groom to have more than one best man at their wedding. My cousin did. Me and my dad. I think I'm going to have two best men as well."

Rupert shrugs. "Cool. I mean it's your day, you can do whatever you want."

I sigh as I realise he's not getting the hint. "Twickenham, you idiot, I'm asking you to be one of my best men at my wedding?"

He stares at me for so long, I wonder if something's happened to him. "Y-You want me to...."

"Yes," I reply, cutting him off.

"Wow, I'm honoured. Sure. If that's what you want."

I sigh again. "If I wasn't sure I wouldn't have asked, Twickenham."

He laughs. "Alright Samuels, you've got yourself a best man."

As the night draws to a close, Imogen and I end up in my room. She sits on my bed and stares out the window.

"What's wrong, love," I ask.

"Nothing," she replies, though she's definitely lying.

"There must be something. Staring out of windows when it's pitch black isn't something you do when you're bored or looking for something to do."

"Well, it's just....where do we go from here?"

"What do you mean?"

"Now that we're engaged, what do we do? How long are you willing to wait for me to be ready to get married?"

I sit beside her and kiss her. "As long as it takes for you to be ready."

"But what if we ruin it? What if something goes wrong? Could this be the end?"

I don't answer her straight away as this is one of the questions I asked myself when I was considering proposing to her too. I was afraid that changing what we have could ruin our relationship. Then I realised, life involves taking a little risk. Sometimes, you have to make difficult choices. And those choices can lead to some of the best moments in your life.

I think over what to say in response for a long time. So long in fact, that Imogen asks again, "Liam, could this be the end?"

And as she asks the question again, I finally think of the perfect answer. "No, my love, this isn't the end. It's only the beginning."