X

"I'm not gonna let you play with her!" A voice yelled. It was James.

"I'm not." Ryan said.

"Ryan, I swear--"

"Calm down James, I know what I'm doing."

"And what may that be?"

"You'll find out soon."

There was something off about his tone, but I let it go. I walked away silently after overhearing their conversation. Did Ryan have anything on his mind? I pushed away the thoughts and started typing in the sales figures.

"All employees in the banquet hall now." Ryan's voice boomed through the speaker. I shut my laptop and made my way towards the banquet hall.

Many were already seated, so I took a seat too.

"We're all gathered here for something very important I'd like to announce today." Ryan said. Everybody was listening intently.

"I'm here to announce the name of our very new Chief Financial Officer. Please welcome Chloe Edwards."

Everybody's eyes were on me and then realisation hit me. He called out my name.

I got up and made my way to the stage. Ryan gave me a smile and offered me his hand. He handed me an envelope.

"I've seen her working abilities and hence have come to the conclusion that she will help me make this empire bigger."

There were some cheers, while others were glaring at me.

"Congratulations." He whispered and handed me the mic. He motioned me to speak.

"Er, this is actually a surprise and this means a lot to me. I won't let any of you down. Thank you." I said and scurried off to my cabin. I shut the door and burst into tears.

He did this because I was his girlfriend, and that was unfair to me and to the company. There was a knock on the door. I wiped my eyes and opened the door. It was Ryan. He had a concerned look on his face.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"You're asking me what's wrong? Why would you give me such a post huh?" I asked.

"Because you deserve it."

"Cut the crap, Ryan. There is a certain method and process for employing someone as a CFO. I'm not that dumb."

"I gave it to you because you deserve it. Why are you arguing over this?"

"Because this isn't right, Ryan. You can't give it to me just because I'm your girlfriend."

"If you have such a problem, why did you accept it in front of everyone huh? You wanted them to know that you've got it." He said lowly.

"If I did reject it, you would've been humiliated. Ryan Anderson cannot face such humiliation, can he?"

"You know what? Forget this." He took the envelope from my hand and tore it. He walked out, slamming the door behind him.

What had I done?

A/N: Hi guys. Sorry for the short chapter and the late update. I have my exams going on, so I couldn't update. Thank you for your support. Love you guys!