XI

The office seemed unusually quiet today and I very well knew why. I made my way to my cabin, receiving all sorts of looks from the employees.

The phone started ringing.

"Hello?"

"My room right now."

I kept my bag and made my way towards his room.

I opened the door and saw him. There was an emotionless expression on his face and I knew I was the reason for it.

"There's a meeting scheduled for tomorrow morning. Cancel all other meetings." He said coldly.

"But Mr. Harrison specially wanted to meet you tomorrow." I said.

"So? I don't give a damn. Cancel it." He said.

I looked at him, trying to analyse what his face was trying to show.

"Why are you still here? Go." He snapped. I raised my hands in surrender and walked out. I knew I had messed up. 

..

I felt lost and it was only because of me. I shouldn't have argued with him. The door of my cabin burst open and I saw a furious looking Ryan approaching me.

"I can't believe you'd do something like this." He roared.

"What are you talking about?" I inquired.

He threw a newspaper on my table. I was horrified when I saw the headline.

Ryan Anderson, CEO of Anderson Enterprises has been exposed. Take a look at what his secretary has to say about him!

"He sleeps with the employees of the office and then kicks them out once he's done. He's been very unkind to all of his colleagues. In fact, he also tried to sleep with me, but I refused. I'm shocked. If I had known he was like this, I'd never have taken up this job." His secretary, Chloe Edwards says. 

What do you have to say about this?

There were tears in my eyes. I'd never say anything like this about anyone, let alone Ryan.

"Why?" His voice cracked.

"Ryan, you have to trust me. I would never do such a thing to you." I said.

"It's all my fault." He muttered.

My phone buzzed.

Unknown number:
Damn, look at what you've done. Ryan deserves so much better than you. Little did he know you'd do something so dumb like this.
-Claire.

"Hey, Ryan? Don't you get the newspaper before it's published?" I asked.

"Yeah, but how does it matter?" He asked.

"See this." I handed him the phone. 

"Claire." He growled.

"I'm sure she did this. Do we still have time to stop this newspaper from getting published?" I asked.

"They've been printed, but I can pay and get the article removed." He said.

"Good, you do that. I'll expose her."

"Chloe, I don't want you to get into any trouble." He said.

"I won't."

He came and knelt down in front of my chair.

"I'm sorry for everything." He whispered.

"I should be sorry. I shouldn't have humiliated you yesterday." I mumbled.

He placed his hand on my cheek.

"Don't be sorry. I care for you, and I don't want anyone hurting you." He said and kissed me. 

He left my cabin.

Claire, you're gonna regret this.