Chapter 1: Emma

Emma giggled, cake flying everywhere as she clapped her chubby hands together. She had cake all over her mouth and on her clothes. Her parents and relatives all surrounded her, smiling as she celebrated her fifth birthday. Everything was perfect, and Emma couldn't be happier.

As Emma reached for yet another bite of cake, she was distracted by her mother leaving the room as she talked to herself.

I wonder why she's leaving, Emma thought to herself, cake forgotten on her plate. Being the curious girl that she was, she decided to follow her away from the party.

She noticed that the door to her mother's room was cracked open slightly, and she could hear a small voice coming from within.

Stopping at the door, Emma waited to hear what her mother seemed so worried about.

I don't think I can do this anymore. She's insane. We need to get her help. This stuff only happens in movies. It won't tear apart my family.

Peeking through the door, Emma saw her mother pacing the room, rubbing her temple.

Curious little Emma decided that she couldn't wait to uncover the mystery when her m

Her mother gave her a strange look and replied, "I wasn't speaking, honey."

"Yes you were, mommy! You were talking about kicking someone out when I'm older!" Emma said back confidently, sure of what she heard.

Emma's mom blanched and Emma thought she was going to be sick.

This can't be happening, I'm probably dreaming or imagining things. I'm just stressed out, that's it! Emma's mom said, more to herself than Emma.

"I can hear you, you know!" Emma said angrily, because her mother was talking like she wasn't even there.

Emma stomped out of the room, but heard a crashing sound as soon as she left. Her mom had fallen on the floor, she looked very pale and sickly.

"DADDY," Emma screamed, more scared than she had ever been in her life.

_________

The next day Emma, her mom, and her dad were all in the hospital together. Her mom had already recovered from the day before, but she refused to see Emma.

"Daddy, did I do something wrong?" Emma asked sadly. She was very upset that her mother wouldn't see her, and was worried that she hated her now.

Emma's dad didn't even look at her, a grim look on his face. Emma looked away, trying not to cry.

About two hours later her mother was released from the hospital, and they all went to the car to drive back home.

Emma was trying not to bother her parents with questions, but she didn't recognize this road, and it looked like they were heading away from home.

Emma finally couldn't take it anymore and blurted out, "Where are we going?"

Her parents looked at each other with very mixed emotions. Emma saw sadness, regret, and fear in their eyes.

________

Emma fell asleep for the rest of the car ride, and only woke up when the sun started to set. She was hungry thirsty, and slightly afraid.

They pulled up to a gigantic brick building with vines running down the sides. The windows were dirty and didn't look like they had been cleaned in a very long time. The grass was long and unruly, with weeds growing everywhere.

They passed a big gate that read, 'Brooksfield Orphanage.' Emma shuddered. Even though she didn't know what those words meant, she felt threatened by them.

"Honey, we are getting out of the car now," Emma's mom says, almost fake cheerfully sounding. Emma could hear the strain in her voice.

Emma hopped out of the car to please her and closed the door. She took a second to study her surroundings.

Suddenly, she heared the sound of gravel crunching and a wheel screeching in protest. Emma turned on her heels, startled by the noise.

What she saw shocked her more than anything in the world ever would, (or so she thought,) her parents had driven away, leaving her stranded in this place.

__________

Emma shuddered at the memory. She didn't like remembering her parents, who never accepted her for who she was.

After this first incident when she was five, she started realizing that she could hear things that others couldn't. It had been ten years, and now she realized that she wasn't supposed to hear other people's thoughts.

It didn't happen all the time, and she still didn't have full control of her power, but, yes, she could read minds.

Emma kept a very low profile in the orphanage. She didn't have any friends and mostly just liked to be by herself. She would hate it if anyone knew her past.

Secretly, she thought that if she ever got any friends, they would find out about her power and leave her. She would be heartbroken, she never wanted someone to leave her again.

_______

At dinner that day she grabbed some mashed potatoes, unidentified meat, and green beans. This was the same dinner they had every day. She was used to it.

She walked out back towards the greenhouses and sat down by the school wall, leaning against it.

Just as she was getting finished with her meat and mashed potatoes, she heard a commotion inside. She quickly finished her meal and went to drop off her tray.

Emma peaked into the doorway, to see a girl about her age standing in the middle of the dining room, being stared down by everyone.

It's now or never, Emma thought, concentrating on the girls thoughts.

Oh no! What if they know already and are staring at me because they know! Oh, I wish Gwen was here... He would know exactly what to do! Where do I sit? Maybe I should go outside! I saw an amazing amount of plant life that probably wants to meet me! Maybe I'll even make some new friends to take home! The other girl thought.

Emma was getting dizzy from the amount of concentration it took to read someone's mind. She stopped before she fainted, which was good because the girl was heading right for her.

Authors Note:

Thank you soooooooo much for reading my first part! If you liked it, please leave a vote and remember to comment on what you liked or didn't like! I would really love your feedback, especially with grammar. (I always accept constructive criticism) I hope you like my first part and I will add another one as soon as possible!