Chapter Thirteen: A Mistake and an Invitation

Pearl had designed the symbol after meeting with Scar, so he didn't have one yet, and she needed to remedy that.

Seeing the upper layer of the Red Velvet Keep, Pearl once again thought about practicality over beauty. Why was it made entirely out of wood? Not smart.

Pearl shook her head and continued toward Scar and Grian's base.

As she padded through the woods, she caught sight of movement out of the corner of her eye. It took mere moments for her to drop into a crouch and draw a bow, whirling to face whatever had moved.

It was farther away than she had originally thought, a sliver of red through the green of the trees and underbrush.

Pearl was a very curious person, and leaving a possibly-dangerous thing behind her wasn't a wise move, so she crept over to investigate.

Grian was sitting with his back up against a tree, facing away from Pearl. He had his arms wrapped around his knees and his shoulders were shaking.

Pearl straightened, being sure to rustle some leaves so her appearance wouldn't startle him too much. "Grian? Are you all right?"

He glanced at her, then looked away. "No." He had definitely been crying. She saw it in his face and heard it in his voice.

When he didn't offer any other information, Pearl walked over and sat down beside him, wrapping an arm around his shoulder.

He leaned into her and started shaking again.

They stayed like that for a while.

"I think I made a mistake," Grian said in a quiet voice.

Pearl waited, sensing there was more he wanted to say.

"But I also think it was the right choice. I think... I think I had to choose between two bad choices and I think I chose the better one but I don't know!"

"What happened?" Pearl asked softly.

"Scar asked if I ever really cared about him and his loneliness in Last Life and now."

"And? What did you say?"

"I lied. I told him- I told him I didn't, and that I never had, even in Third Life, and that this was just a game to me and I didn't wanna be soulbound to someone incompetent who would get me killed. Then he... he thanked me for my honesty and walked away. He seemed so... Not angry, just sad, like he was expecting it." Grian put his head in his hands. "It feels so bad... But I had to do it. I had to- to make sure he wouldn't give himself up for my sake again. I had to. I can't kill him again."

"Oh, Grian... He sacrifices himself for you because he loves you. He still does, even though it's been two years and you killed him and backstabbed him and betrayed him and stole from him. He's loyal. And it's clear as diamond that you love him back. He wants to spend the time that the soulbond gimmick gave him with you actually with you. Not with me, not alone. With you." Pearl poked him in the chest. "You're not gonna win again and you're allowed to partner up with each other. Not everyone gets that luxury. Scott would kill to be allowed to team with Jimmy again and not get punished by the creators."

"I can't risk having to kill him again, Pearl! Even if it's a one in seven chance - well, one in six, Timmy doesn't really count - I can't risk having to kill him again. Especially if he just lets me. I would rather he hated me, killed me, and won, securing his life by being a champion."

"Oookay." Pearl pulled the camera off her shoulder and spoke to it. "We're going to step away, because this is a very personal conversation. C'mon Grian." She hauled him to his feet, shut off the cameras, and pulled him off outside of the view of the cameras.

"Pearl, do you- do you have any way to make sure Scar fights to win for himself if we're the last two that doesn't require him hating me?" Grian looked desperate.

"No, Grian, I don't," Pearl said.

"Then you can't help me." Grian's shoulders slumped.

"Actually, I can. Maybe. If there isn't a Game to win or be killed for losing, then you can go be happy with him." Pearl pulled out one of the fabric armbands and held it out to him. "I'm starting a revolution. We want to take down the Lords and end the Game. If there is no Game, then you won't have to fear killing Scar. So. You in?"

"Seriously?" Grian looked at her, and she thought she saw the tiniest spark of hope in his eyes.

"I've already got like four people to join, including Scar. Uh, he doesn't have one of the armbands yet, so you'll have to bring that to him. Oh, and-" Pearl quickly explained what the bracelets meant. "If you don't want to join, just don't rat us out."

"Oh, I do, I do. The Lords... This isn't how it's supposed to be. And... I want to be able to be close to Scar without being afraid."

"Good. Bring the armband to Scar, explain it to him and also explain why you lied. Fix it, Grian."

Pearl turned and walked off. Grian was going to bring the armband to Scar now, and she had to see Scott.

~*~

Pearl found Scott building... another ranch? That's what it looked like.

"Scott!" She waved at him, and he came down from on top of whatever he had been building. "Are there cameras here?" She asked, turning hers off.

"No." Scott shook his head.

"Good. Desert Duo and the Boat Boys joined the revolution. Will you?"

"That's not half, but it's enough. I will."

"Good." Pearl reached out and shook his hand.

"What revolution?"

Uhhhhhh shorter chapter cause this was the best stopping place before having half a billion words in it. I might post the next chapter earlier if I remember when I actually get to this part of my writing whooo! Also really Desert Duo vibes song (not this version of desert duo): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYp5LCXM_0 my sister is literally obsessed with this song