.36.

⚠⚠⚠

⚠⚠⚠

Slight Trigger Warning: This chapter contains emotional distress, themes of grief and guilt, a depiction of a panic attack, a medical emergency related to broken heart syndrome, and significant angst. Reader discretion is advised.

✎﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Olivia Forger is a girl genius who possesses great intellectual and creative abilities as well as other natural qualities. Olivia Forger is a big sister to Anya Forger; she's a daughter to Loid and Anya Forger; she's one of the brightest young students to ever grace Eden; and she has a beautiful soul. But. Olivia Forger was not okay.

As she lay in her hospital bed, she stared blankly at the blank white ceiling, the smell of sterile disinfectant filling her nostrils, and she couldn't shake the feeling of overwhelming emptiness that consumed her.

No matter how many times she blinked the memory away, her mind betrayed her as it mockingly replayed the image of her precious Snooze risking his life to protect hers. 'Snooze...'

'Is he okay? Did he survive? Did anybody get hurt?' All these questions, and nobody is around to answer them. Loid, Yor, and Anya had come and gone these few days; she was unconscious, and there was no sign of Snooze anywhere. The only form of comfort she had right now was Angelo, her stuffed turtle Loid had gifted her.

Olivia let out a sigh as she squeezed the stuffed toy to her chest as she tried to process all the emotions and fears swirling inside her. Her glossed eyes stared at the beady orbs that displayed her reflection. Memories of the day she got the toy and how Snooze reacted to it tugged at her heartstrings.

She chuckled as she thought back on that day...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

The afternoon the Forgers returned from the aquarium outing, Olivia, with her pink hair now tied back in a loose ponytail and her blue eyes sparkling with excitement, despite her age, introduced her new stuffed toy turtle, Angelo, to her lazy go-to snow-white cat, Snooze.

Snooze, who sat lounging on the windowsill of their bedroom with his signature sunglasses perched on his nose, barely lifted his head at the new addition to their room.

"Lookie, Snooze!" Olivia chirped, her skin glowing with enthusiasm. "This is Angelo! Dad got him for me at the aquarium today! Isn't he adorable?"

Snooze opened one eye, gave a disinterested 'meow', and went back to pretending to nap. Olivia, oblivious to his indifference, continued as she got closer to his fluffy face, "Angelo's going to keep me company when you're busy doing... you know, cat things?"