027 || Numb

The faint sound of a monitor sounded quietly in my ears. I could hear muffled voices. My eyelids felt heavy—so heavy. I wanted to open my eyes and see where I was, but I just couldn't. My hearing began to speed up. So did the beeping of the monitor.

Was I in a hospital?

What had happened to me?

The panic began to rise in my chest as I struggled to make sense of my surroundings. Slowly, I felt my eyes flutter open, adjusting to the bright lights above me.

As my vision cleared, I could see the sterile white walls of the hospital room and the figures of medical personnel moving around me. I was alone.

Where was Layla?

Oh, nevermind, There she is.

I lifted my head slightly off the pillow so that I could see her better. She was standing not far outside the room, talking to a doctor. I couldn't see her face, but her hands were shaking as they ran nervously through her hair. The doctor had a somber expression on her face.

Were they talking about me?

Then the doctor and I made eye contact. I didn't move. A feeling of dread was rising in my chest. She gave Layla a last nod and a comforting pat on the shoulder before walking away. I waited. A part of my wanted to scream.

Then she turned.

Layla's eyes were red, her hands wiping at the tears stains on her cheeks. She looked distressed. My heart was thumping in my ears. She saw me looking at her.She hurried to the door, pausing as if trying to pull herself together.

"Ley, what's wrong?" I asked, pushing myself up a little to see her as she came in. She hurried to my side.

"Hey, hey, hey, lie down. Don't try and use your energy." She told me, putting a gentle hand on my shoulder and pushing me back down. I didn't have the strength to argue.

"I'm okay, really. I feel fine." I told her, hoping it would cheer her up a little. She didn't smile.

"How do you feel. Really." Her voice was quiet and serious, and her eyes searched mine. I sighed. My head was killing me.

"Why am I here?" I asked her.

"You fainted. Bri, I thought you dropped dead." Her eyes were wide. I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"I'm sorry..." I mumbled, looking down at my hands. I was caught by surprise when I heard her chuckle.

"You're the one lying in a hospital bed, and yet you are still trying to apologize." She shook her head. I looked up. I felt guilt twist inside me as I saw tears falling from her nose and onto her lap.

"Are you okay?" I asked, reaching for her hand. She pulled away.

"No." She shook her head. She wouldn't look me in the eye. Was it something I'd done? Was something wrong with my family?

"Where's Clem? Max? Ann?" I sat up again, my heart beginning to race at the thought of something going wrong. Layla shook her head.

"No, Bri, shhh..." She tried to calm me, putting a hand on my knee. "Everyone is fine." I let out a sigh. There was a long silence.

I was confused. So confused.

"Does Max know?" I asked after a while, my voice quiet. I knew that if he did he would have dropped everything and would be on a plane already. And if he couldn't fly, he'd swim.

"No. I was about to call after I'd talked to the doctor." She told me. I was looking at her, but she wouldn't meet my eyes. She was hiding something.