032 || Monster

Fuck, here we go again.

Even before I opened my eyes, I knew where I was. Back in this godforsaken hospital. 

The faint sound of monitors beeping and people talking in hushed tones filled the air, but I couldn't bring myself to care. It was all just background noise, nothing more. 

I felt... numb. Empty. Like a shell of the person I used to be.

I forced my eyelids to open, the harsh fluorescent light burning my retinas. I winced, wishing I could just shut them again and block out this reality. 

But I knew I couldn't. Not anymore. 

I glanced around the room, taking in the familiar surroundings: the sterile white walls, the uncomfortable hospital bed, the beeping monitors.

"Shut up, she's waking up..." 

Someone muttered beside me. I turned my head slightly to the left, squinting in the light. Layla's eyes were filled with tears as she stroked my hand, her face etched with worry. Beside her, Lando was hunched over, looking just as tired.

"Hey there, sleepyhead," Lando whispered, forcing a weak smile. "How're you feeling?"

I tried to respond, but the words stuck in my throat. I couldn't even muster up a croak. It was like my voice had abandoned me along with everything else.

"It's okay, Bri," Layla whispered, squeezing my hand. "You don't have to talk..."

I tried again, mustering up more strength this time. "What happened? Is Max okay?" I finally managed to croak out. There was a brief pause, and then I saw the look of pity in their eyes as they exchanged glances.

"He's okay. A bit battered and bruised, but he'll live." Layla finally answered, her voice shaking. I felt a small weight lift off my chest. All that mattered was that he was alive. I looked around expectantly.

"Where... is he?" I asked, confused. Thier faces flooded with pity.

Lando glanced at Layla, and then back at me, his expression softening. "He's... he's is a room down the hall. The doctors wanted to keep an eye on him. He's come to see you a few times, but..." He trailed off, unable to finish.

I felt a pang in my chest. A sharp, painful ache that seemed to spread throughout my entire body. Max wasn't here. 

He should be here.

"He knows..." I whispered, my voice barely audible even to me.

There was a long silence. Layla was looking at me, her gaze wfilled with pity. Lando wouldn't meey my gaze. I coul teel that he was trying to hide his emotions, but I could see right through him.

"Bri, I... They told him everything." Layla's voice was barely a whisper, and yet it seemed to echo in the room. I felt like the air had been sucked out of the room, like I couldn't breathe.

"He knows..." I repeated, my voice sounding distant even to my own ears.

"He's been a wreck since he found out," Lando added, his voice shaky. "He hasn't left since the crash."

I swallowed the lump in my throat, feeling a fresh wave of tears threatening to spill over. I closed my eyes, wishing I could just disappear from this place, from this world. But I knew I couldn't. Not yet.

"It's not your fault," Layla whispered, squeezing my hand again. Her words were empty, hollow, but I knew she meant well. 

I wanted to believe her, but a tiny voice inside my head kept repeating the same thing over and over again: It was my fault. Max was angry, and I couldn't blame him.