WHY IS LIFE SO HARD?

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE/THIRTEEN
WHY IS LIFE SO HARD? (ALTERNATE TITLE: CORA NEEDS A LAWYER)

please please please let me get what i want | THE SMITHS"see, the life i've hadcan make a good man badso for once in my lifelet me get what i want"

"see, the life i've had
can make a good man bad
so for once in my life
let me get what i want"

March was not Cora Holloway's month. Not at all.

March 3rd had been the first meeting of Dumbledore's Army that she had been able to attend in over two weeks. As a result of her ever strenuous Quidditch and school schedule. It was not a fun one however as she ended up caught in a stray spell from the one and only Colin Creevey. He had managed to bestow her with a mild concussion as she was thrown into one of the walls with a large force. Despite Cora being the one injured, Colin was so mortified he proceeded to faint at the sight of what he had done.

Needless to say it was a couple weeks before she returned to the Room of Requirement - the embarrassment too much to bare.

On the 10th Slytherin had lost against the Ravenclaw team - which wouldn't have been that devastating if she had not played the worst game in her entire career. All of her teammates had assured her that she was being stupid, that she hadn't actually played that poorly. But Cora disagreed. After that game her mail had gone completely quiet, normally she got at least a couple letters here and there from prospective quidditch teams, but now she had none! Did she still have her conditional offers from two teams? Yes. But it wasn't the team she wanted to play for. The only silver lining was that the following week Gryffindor had also lost against the Hufflepuffs, she did however feel bad that half of their team had been banned from participating (especially as the twins had a proper meltdown).

On the 12th Fred had broken the news to her that he and George were heavily considering dropping out as in his own words he "had nothing keeping me here...expect for you of course!". It wasn't necessarily a shock to the girl, as the boys had been taking school less than seriously in the new year. But it was really the last thing any girlfriend wanted to hear.

On the 15th she had received word from Gringott's that she would be unable to access her trust account prior to her eighteenth birthday, despite seventeen being the age you lose the trace. This had substantial affect on her life as she needed her trust fund to find somewhere to live after she graduated, and considering her birthday was not till 2 months into the summer, in short Cora was slightly fucked. Was she rich? Yes. Was it lucky her parents had even set up a trust meaning she wasn't completely financially cut off despite her estrangement? Yes. Was it nice that Chris had left her enough money to get her through the school year? Absolutely. Was Cora still spiralling? Of course.

By the 24th of March she was the talk of the school, and not for good reason.

Harry had approached her many times about joining his interview with Rita Skeeter, where he was going to speak out about what had happened last June. But Cora had refused incessantly. She knew it was the right thing to do. But that didn't mean she should.