20| AWKWARD

KARA'S POV

Where the hell is Leo?

I dialed his number only to hear his voicemail for the third time.

I furrowed my brows as worry tightened my gut. He said he'd be here to pick me up. But I had been waiting for over fifteen minutes, and he still wasn't here. He never did that, though. He always showed up whenever he said he'd come. And if something came up and he couldn't make it or if he was running late, he'd always inform me.

"Ms. Williams."

Heart hammering at the voice, I turned around to see Professor Carver standing at a safe distance behind me with an unreadable expression.

Today was the first time I had faced him after that day in his office.

Shame and dread had been gnawing at me ever since that day. I had been worried out of my mind that he would report me for kissing him, ending my career and dreams before they even started. Or that he wouldn't want to be my thesis advisor anymore. Then there was the fact that he'd probably heard me screaming in pleasure not long after the kiss while Leo fucked me.

But then I'd gotten an email the next day from him asking me to meet him today to discuss my thesis and to take my painting back that I had left in his office the last time I was there. I'd tentatively gone, expecting it to be awkward as heck. And while the meeting did feel a little awkward, I didn't know if it was all just in my head. The discussion had felt tense, punctuated by awkward silences. He was pretending like nothing had happened. I was trying to do the same, though it was hard since I didn't know when his mood might change, and he might just take some action and report me or something.

Now I was standing here after the meeting ended, waiting for Leo.

"Is there a problem?" Professor Carver asked, his voice a neutral rumble.

My gaze darted back to my phone, desperately hoping for Leo's call. The silence stretched, broken only by the distant hum of traffic. Was every interaction with him from now on going to feel like walking on a tightrope, unsure when the ground might give way?

"Uh, no." I swallowed, my eyes landing somewhere behind the professor's shoulder. For some reason, I just couldn't make myself look at his face. Then I remembered that he might know about Leo. So, I asked, "Actually, do you know where Leo is?"

"No," his reply was quick, "I don't."

"Oh," I sighed. "I'm just worried. He's not picking up my phone."

A beat of silence followed, laced with a tension that had nothing to do with the fading sunlight. "If you wouldn't mind waiting another five minutes, I need to grab a few things from my office anyway. I could give you a ride home."

My mind scrambled. This was so unexpected, unsettling even. How did he even know that I was stranded? Had he noticed Leo giving me rides so often? And why the fuck did he offer to give me a ride? The very thought of being alone in a car with him, after everything, sent a tremor of fear through me.

But how long was I going to wait? The sun was sinking lower with every second, and the streetlights were beginning to flicker. I knew I couldn't stay here forever, but could I trust myself with him, especially with the unspoken tension simmering between us?

"I, uh..." I hesitated, glancing down at my phone screen where Leo's contact mocked me. "That's very kind of you, Professor, but I shouldn't impose. Leo should be here any minute."

He remained silent, his gaze steady on me. His voice was laced with a subtle curiosity when he asked, "He hasn't contacted you?"

I shook my head, the truth tumbling out, even at the growing unease of the situation. "No, that's the problem. He usually informs me beforehand if he isn't able to make it."