3| CLUMSY

Leo took us to a small café situated just at the edge of the campus. As we made our way inside, I realized it was packed. We strolled past the tables, nodding at the people we knew. More like, Leo was trying to avoid the various invitations from a few girls I recognized from my art history class while I smiled and nodded at the people who acknowledged me. Looked like almost everyone came here after Professor Carver's class.

I sent Leo off to get our drinks while I looked for some seats. It didn't take me long to find a few vacant seats. Thankfully, no one disturbed me as I waited for Leo. I didn't really mind being in a crowd as long as no one came up to me. I wasn't in the mood to talk with anyone after what had happened in the class. After waiting for Leo for a few minutes, I pulled out my phone and texted him asking where he was. He was taking too long. I supposed the line was big, but I was getting tired of waiting. When he didn't reply, I looked around in hopes to spot him. That is when I heard Leo come up behind me.

"Finally," I said as I twisted in my seat to look at him. "What took you so long?"

"Look who I found." He nodded his head behind him as he held out my drink toward me. "There are no other empty seats so I invited him to sit with us. Told him you wouldn't mind."

With my hand reaching for my drink, I glanced behind him.

Shit.

I thought this day couldn't have gotten any worse as I spotted Professor Carver standing behind him.

But then, my day did get worse when I realized that my hand hadn't completely closed around the cup of my drink, and when I noticed Shane Carver, it slipped from my hand as Leo let go of my coffee.

Double shit.

Leo was quick enough to narrowly dodge it as my drink splashed near his feet. My eyes widened as I realized I had made a fool of myself for the second time on the same day in front of the professor.

"Holy crap, Kara," Leo cursed.

"Sorry," I apologized. I could feel the gazes of a few people near us, looking over to see the fuss I'd made. Ignoring them and feeling my face heat up, I bit my lip and looked down at the mess I was responsible for; at the café mocha spilled on the floor, which was the usual drink I had every time I was here.

"Always so clumsy." Leo shook his head, a huff of laughter leaving his mouth. "Wait here, I'll go get another drink for you."

"No," I said a little too quickly as I stood up. "You stay, and I'll go."

Yes, I was that desperate to get away from this situation, especially away from a certain someone who I hadn't thought I'd come across again today after stepping out of his class.

"Sit down, Kara. Let me get it for you." He pushed my shoulders until I was sitting again. He leaned in so that only I could hear him. "Maybe you'll finally get the chance to look at his ass." He winked, and then he was walking away, leaving me alone with his brother.

My eyes were drawn to my new professor as he made his way around the table, his movements smooth but relaxed. Okay, my eyes actually went to his legs, because I didn't have it in me to look at his face and the scowl I knew he must be wearing. Most of all, I didn't want to look into those eyes, which I could feel were already on me. People no longer had their attention on us and were back to chatting and minding their own business, but I could still feel his eyes on me even as he dropped down on the seat opposite me, the table separating us. I hadn't noticed he had a drink in his hand until he placed it on the table. He and Leo must've gotten drinks together.

What is he drinking?

I wanted to ask him or take a peek into the cup, wondering if his taste was similar to Leo's. He usually had black coffee whenever he was here. Was that black coffee? Or did he prefer something more on the sweeter side like me? But I didn't speak. I just dropped my gaze to the table as I rested back in my seat and waited for Leo to be back.