Summer sun

My footsteps made no noise as I walked along the dark floor of the void. The longer I stayed, the longer at peace I felt. The light farther away became larger by each footstep. The warmth of the glow peppered my skin with a gentle feeling. I could hear faint voices. They were muffled, sounding far away. However, I was determined to follow them. Through the darkness to the light.

Just as I was getting closer, I was taken by my foot and dragged down. Down below, into the darkness of the void. I struggled against the unknown grip, not truly screaming, but I could only flail around helplessly. I started to cough. I coughed and coughed and, at one point, gagged. Tears filled my eyes as I was being dragged further down. The light disappeared into the void.

"Tomioka. . ."

"Why. . . Wake. . . Dumb. . ."

Voices. I could hear voices. They echoed far. The voices were quiet and filled with dreadful sorrow. A prickly feeling rose in my chest as I heard another call. And another. And another. My eyes prickled with tears, and my chest heaved.

"I want to live. I want to live. . . For everyone. For Muichiro, for Shinazugawa, for Shinobu, for Tanjiro and Nezuko for everyone! Iguro, Mitsuri, Rengoku, Uzui, Suma, Makio, Hinatsuru, Zenitsu, Inosuke, Sumi, Kiyo, Naho, Aoi, Master. . ." So many people. So many. They all accepted me for who I was. They all helped me on this journey. They all came to like me, and here I am. Visiting death and giving up. I don't want this. I want to live. I want to see everyone again. I want to talk to Shinobu, eat with Mitsuri, drink with Uzui, relax with Muichiro, and train with the trio. I can't leave yet. Just a little longer, please. I'm begging.

As I took my final breath, I was dragged into the endless ocean void. I was dragged down below, where it was cold. I didn't give up. I thrashed around and fought the unforgiving arms. The air was thin down here, I was out of breath easily. But I kept going. I scratched and made it even more difficult. One down, two down. And so on. Before I knew it, I was swimming back up. The air became more fulfilling, and I was back up. Above the water and out of harms way.

"Not yet, Giyuu."

"Live for us. We'll be here waiting."

"Tsutako? Sabito?" I couldn't help but smile. A warmth spread around me as I was finally brought from my agonising slumber.

***

Bright. It was bright. It was warm, and the sun was blaring its rays into the room. The air was fresh and scented floral. Last time I remember, the air was cooler and damp. Maybe it was a good day. A pleasant day to wake up.

I sat up, my muscles ached. I've grown weaker due to lack of exercise. However, I felt refreshed. My lungs weren't burning, and I didn't feel out of breath. I was able to take in a deep breath without burtsing into a fit of coughs.

I stood up and walked over to one of the open windows. They were less of windows and more of cut-out holes with removable mesh.

I took off the mesh covering and gazed outside. I was met with blooming cherry trees. Small petals flew around with the gentle breeze.

"Spring?" No. . . No, no, no. It was early autumn when I last remember. How? Was I in a coma? For that long? The cherry trees seem to be soon fallen. Was it really early summer?

The shock put me off balance. I clung to the wall, my legs growing weaker. I couldn't think straight. My mind was muddled with stress. Was I really out that long? It only felt like a day. Not even. How was I asleep for so long?

I heard a kasugai crow in the distance. It was Shinobu's. Thankfully, her crow was obedient enough.

"Hey, over here." I called out quietly enough for no one to hear. The crow turned and flew over. She landed on the window sill and turned her head to me. "Where is everyone?" I huffed out.