Chapter 16: Tom Morgan

The descending sun embraced Neverland's southern cove with a comforting warmth, casting shimmering colours across the dancing water. A gentle breeze stirred the air, carrying the scents of salt, seaweed, and unfamiliar fragrances from the land, causing the palm leaves to rustle softly.

Emerging from the dense jungle, a figure made its way along the shoreline, trudging through the round stones scattered on the soft sand. Stepping onto the shore, the figure inhaled the salty air, gazing out at the limitless horizon. Tall and lean, their chiselled jaw, pointed chin, and piercing blue eyes exuded confidence and determination. But it was their meticulously groomed jet-black mustache that truly set them apart, lending an air of sophistication. This figure was Dr. James Jones, whose purpose for coming to the island had become hazy, lost in his mind. All he knew now was that he had to find and kill the flying menace, Peter Pan.

However, James was not the first nor the last man to set foot on this mysterious island. A few arrived with their own motives, like James, but most were torn from their own world, inexplicably finding themselves on the shores of Neverland. None of those unceremoniously dropped here had ever succeeded in leaving, as the island's magic held a tight grip on those who lingered too long. Its enchantment caused them to forget their past lives, trapping them in an eternal childhood fever dream.

Among the arrivals was Tom Morgan, a kind-hearted soul who had found himself on the island not long before James's arrival. Yet, like those who came before him, Tom discovered that Neverland's eternal youth did not treat adults kindly. The island's magic had a knack for driving grown-ups mad, especially during their initial week of memoryless slumber. The confusion and fear accompanying this state of mind often led to irrational behaviour. Some became so overwhelmed that they attempted to swim toward the meeting point of the ocean and the horizon—a futile endeavour with tragic consequences. But can you really blame them for their panic? Imagine strolling down 5th Avenue, tripping over your scarf, and landing with a soft thud on a silent white beach.

In the fabric of reality, there are cracks—places or situations where people can slip through and find themselves in Neverland without warning. Most who arrived on the island this way were doomed to wander aimlessly, succumbing to starvation, dehydration, or driven to desperate measures, seeking respite from the tormenting voices in their heads. Others were not even granted that grim fate, as the island is home to an array of strange and dreadful things. From ravenous Nevercreatures lurking in the shadows to sentient beings with their own unfathomable agendas, Neverland proves harsh and unforgiving for any unfortunate grown-up stranded on its shores.

Thomas Gabriel Morgan, a man of mystery, possessed a rugged and weathered face that spoke of a life spent in the wilderness. Unlike most who found themselves marooned on the island, Tom's mind withstood the mental trials that accompanied waking up with no memories of his past life. Neverland has a way of eroding a person's identity, leaving them adrift and confused, while filling in the gaps with its own narrative. Fortunately, Tom's skills from a former life served as his lifeline amidst the tumultuous currents of Neverland.

As Tom roamed the beach and observed the island's serene waters, questions about his past nagged at his mind. Was he once a wealthy businessman seeking adventure or a rugged wildlife photographer, capturing nature's beauty? Perhaps he had honed his survival skills, living off the land in isolation. Regardless of his previous life, it held no significance now that Tom had become a master of this island.

Days turned into weeks, weeks into months, and Tom thrived in Neverland. His instincts for hunting and fishing provided sustenance, while his knowledge of medicinal plants kept him healthy. Even as the island's magic seeped into his being, erasing his past memories, Tom remained steadfast. Survival became his purpose, and he yearned to uncover the truth about his past and the secrets of this mysterious place.