Chapter 23: From Below the Swamp

Sidewing and Tootles relaxed within the cozy confines of Hangman's Tree, their game of Jacks accompanied by the sweet aroma of Neversweets and the gentle melody of raindrops outside.

Suddenly, Slightly burst into the hideout, gasping for breath as his chest heaved. "Nibs, Thump, and Cheddar are trapped in the cave," he managed to utter amidst his exhaustion, his words tumbling out in a jumbled mess.

Sidewing sprang up, his chair crashing to the ground in his haste. Frustration surged within him. "Why did you guys go in there?" he snapped, his had a touch of regret for not joining them from the start.

Slightly's face was red and strained from exertion as he confided in his companions. "We followed the pirates into the cave after they started running from us."

Sidewing's mood soured instantly, "Bloody hell," he muttered under his breath, his anger and irritation manifesting in clenched fists. He grabbed his belt and sword from the hanging rack, his expression fraught with worry. "You guys wait here," he ordered with a cold firmness, before darting out of the tree fort, his body propelled upward into the rain-soaked sky.

His heart raced as he hurried toward the southern rock cove of the island. The thought of Nibs leading the others into danger fueled his anger and spurred his speed. Halfway there, a loud crow from the west caught his attention. "Pan's back," he thought, swiftly changing course to intercept Peter before he could reach the tree.

As Sidewing closed in on Peter and Tink, the Pan Lord's joy at seeing his best friend overwhelmed him. But as he prepared to greet the flying Lost Boy with a grin, Peter couldn't help but sense the unease in his demeanour. Sidewing's face lacked its usual warmth, and Tink's intuition echoed Peter's concerns.

"Something's not right," Tink remarked, her eyes scrutinizing Sidewing.

Peter's smile faded as Sidewing arrived, his abrupt stop demonstrating his mastery of flight, rivalling even Peter's own skills. Sidewing's eyes darted between the two, his expression inscrutable. "What's happening?" Peter asked with deep concern.

"Nibs led some of the boys to scout the pirates in the cove. They followed them into the cave, and now he, Thump, and Cheddar are trapped or worse. I don't have all the details. Slightly came rushing in to tell me while I was with Tootles at the tree," Sidewing explained, his tone grave.

Peter's face drained of colour, fear widening his eyes. "Why weren't you with them?!" he shouted at Sidewing before darting off toward the southern rock cove of the island. Tink swiftly followed suit. They both knew the peril that awaited them within the depths of the southern cave.

Overwhelmed with guilt for staying behind, Sidewing felt Peter's scolding weighing heavily upon him. However, he couldn't dwell on it now. With a burst of energy that sliced through raindrops and reverberated through the cloudy Neverland sky, Sidewing chased after his friends. The wind whipped through his flowing hair, and his heart pounded in his chest, fueled by his determination to make things right and rescue their trapped friends.

The crashing waves and heavy raindrops filled the cove with a symphony of sound as they approached. Without hesitation, they darted into the mouth of the cave, their eyes fixed on the small opening at the base of the rock wall in the back, leading to the depths of the cave system. Peter took the lead, scanning the dark cavern for signs of danger. Tink floated silently over his shoulder, her radiant glow cutting through the darkness like a beacon of hope. The trio hovered above the ground, swiftly navigating through the narrowing rocky tunnel. The dank smell of the cave invaded their nostrils, and the eerie stillness grew more unsettling as they ventured deeper into the unknown.