Chapter 17: The Wood Nymphs

Lady Bell had exhausted all other options and time was running out. Each passing day brought a greater threat to Neverland, leaving her with no choice but to undertake a risky plan. The weight of the entire land rested on her success, and though the potential for her demise loomed, she steeled her mind for the dangerous task ahead.

Hovering in the air, Lady Bell braced herself against the relentless wind and rain. Her gaze fixed on the foreboding Skull Rock in the distance, its sinister presence having haunted her long before she reached the beach. The haunting melody looped in her head, an unbearable warning urging her to stay away, while simultaneously pulling her inward. The dark mouth of the skull-shaped cave promised secrets and mysteries, compelling her to face the unimaginable depths within.

The allure of Skull Rock possessed an undeniable magnetism, and for a fairy, like Lady Bell, it intensified tenfold. Despite the overwhelming force pushing and pulling simultaneously at her soul, she remained steady, knowing that slowly moving forward was the only way to achieve her goal. As she approached the breakwater, her hopeful glance back at the trees revealed a deserted campsite, momentarily catching her attention before the ominous presence of Skull Rock demanded her focus once more.

The relentless beat of the rock's malevolent pulse consumed Lady Bell's thoughts, leaving her no choice but to venture closer. The image of death and destruction seared into her mind, warning her of the dangers within. With a final desperate look back at the forest, she took a deep breath and braced herself, inching even closer to the treacherous edge of the looming skull's grasp.

Suddenly, a booming voice shattered the daze induced by the terrifying aura of the rock. "What in the hell are you doing?" The words sliced through the heavy air, jolting Lady Bell from her thoughts. She halted and exhaled a sigh of relief.

"Hello, Takari," Lady Bell said calmly, offering a greeting without turning around.

"Are you gonna answer me?" Takari barked, the fury in her voice apparent. "You know how dangerous this is..."

"I thought you weren't going to watch over me?" Lady Bell interjected, a half smirk playing on her cheeks as she spun around to face the trees. Her delicate wings fluttered in the gusting wind.

Emerging from the cover of the foliage, Takari appeared her expression a mix of sternness and irritation, raindrops cascading down her face. Unlike the vibrant and splendid pixies of Neverland, the nymphs had a more grounded and earthy appearance. Takari's hair, the colour of deep rich soil, flowed freely with a few silky tendrils dancing in the wind. Her eyes mirrored the forest's hues after a rain, and her sun-kissed skin exuded a natural warmth.

"I wasn't watching... I don't watch over you," Takari stated firmly. "But the trees don't let go of the past quite as easily as some," she added, accusingly shooting a glare at the Queen. "And they are always watching. So, when I heard that you're about to willingly walk into the jaws of Skull Rock, well, I had to witness this utter stupidity for myself."

Lady Bell stood her ground against Takari's reprimand, though the pulsating trance of the menacing Skull Rock still throbbed in her head. She forced herself to move a few feet inland, freeing her mind from the hypnotizing pull of the cave entrance. Her eyes met Takari's, lost in their forgotten beauty.

"I appreciate your concern, and I apologize for causing you to worry. But I had to get your attention. The fate of Neverland depends on it," Lady Bell said, her face unwavering as she spoke, refusing to reveal the surge of attraction and emotion welling up inside.

Takari rolled her eyes, emitting a deep sigh as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Lay, this better be real. I don't have time for games. We've got a lot going on right now," she grumbled, frustration resonating in her voice, albeit tinged with a hint of childlike excitement.