Chapter 21: Into the Cave

"Pirates? Where?" Tink exclaimed, her tiny form hovering in the air, as she absorbed Peter's words. The Lost Boys had gathered around him at the Hangman's tree, their faces reflecting concern as he recounted what he had witnessed.

"In the southern rock cove," Peter replied, still catching his breath from his frantic flight. Tink's eyes widened with worry as she asked, "Near the cave?"

Peter nodded, matching her worried expression, but quickly shifting the conversation away from the cave. "They have a ship," he said, his voice grave. "Well, a boat. But this could be the start of something much bigger. It must be stopped."

While Peter spoke, he exhibited signs of sensing something in the distance. His expression grew even more serious, and he lowered his head. "Oh no, not now," he muttered under his breath, a sense of urgency evident in his tone. Sidewing, who was always in tune with their leader's Pan sense, inquired, "What is it, Peter? A run?"

Peter nodded, his eyes fixed on the horizon. "Yes," he confirmed. "Looks like a big one. Tink, I'll need your help." Tink nodded solemnly, radiating loyalty as she prepared to assist Peter in the daunting task at hand. The Lost Boys exchanged troubled glances, knowing that Peter's forewarning should never be taken lightly.

With his commanding voice, Peter addressed his gang of boys. "We'll be back as soon as we can," he said firmly, scanning each face, heeding caution with his eyes. "Leave the men at the cove be until then." He issued a warning, fully aware of the restless and adventurous nature of his band of Lost Boys.

They had faced countless battles and skirmishes, their boundless energy and god-like courage propelling them forward. After emerging victorious in their final battle against the Shellslugs, Neverland had settled into a peaceful lull, providing a much-needed respite for the boys following a year of relentless fighting against the forces of evil.

But as the days turned into weeks and then into a month of tranquillity, Peter observed the restlessness growing among his gang. They yearned for action, a chance to test their strength and skills once more. Peter understood their eagerness, but he also recognized the potential dangers presented by the pirates in the southern cove. He needed his boys to exercise restraint until he and Tink returned, and they could assess the situation together.

Peter's words hung in the air, and he could see the anticipation in the eyes of his gang. They were itching for a challenge, eager to prove themselves once again. Yet, Peter's stern warning resonated with them, and they nodded in understanding, even as their excitement remained tangible.

"Alright, then. Nibs, you're in charge," Peter declared, and with that, he and Tink took to the sky, heading towards the world of men, fully aware that they were about to face a heartbreaki task. Their hearts felt heavy with the weight of the responsibility to guide lost souls to their final resting place.

. . .

Thump, his large palm shaking the dice, looked around at the restless Lost Boys lounging in the fort. "Anyone up for an adventure?" he called out, trying to spark some excitement while they awaited Peter and Tink's return.

"Ugh, we've been adventuring for two days straight," Axel groaned, lacking enthusiasm.

The Neverland weather had been dismal, with relentless rain forcing the Lost Boys to remain confined within their tree home. Tootles, perched in the pillowed loft overlooking the main room, gazed longingly through a knothole window. "I wish we could play outside," he sighed.

Cheddar, always cheery and optimistic, chimed in, "Why don't we play outside? It could be fun!"

Tootles regarded him as if he were insane. "Now? It's pouring rain."