Pt 23

More time passed; days, weeks, even a month. You hadn't seen much of Big Mama or 🤌the🤌Othello Van Ryan. Having only went to the Hidden City from time to time for training with Baron Draxum. You had assumed there was no more need to worry too hard, doing your homework, chores, working in the tech club, etc. Yet, for some reason, you felt that something was always off. It had to be something like a spy from Big Mama, maybe even an assassin. No no no. Worry later.

On one night when you'd fallen into a deep slumber, you heard the same thing that you'd hear every night since you got home. A tiring month of nightmares, even though you never used to really remember your dreams. All of this was conditional upon wether you could sleep. But when you could... Something had to be wrong... Something had to be really wrong...

"The resistance lost..."

"Don't you dare say what I think you wanna say! There's still a chance!"

"... Monty, you're right, it's not over! Not as long as we have a ninja's greatest weapon; hope and some badass mystic warriors..."

"Guys! We need a time gateway! Someway to send the kids back!"

"It'll take everything we have! Are you sure?"

"It's our only way!"

"YOU GOT IT! Guys! It's been my honor to call you family! And Case, get the others in that gate and go save the world!"

"AAAHHHHH!" You awaken to the sound of your own shriek, the sound ringing around your soundproof room. Your eyes adjust to the darkness of the room, feeling the rapid rise in your heart rate. It's been a month since the dreams started... A month since you were allowed to go home...

"Fuck... Not again..."

"M-Mother?... Why're you screaming again?... Did you have another bad dream?" You hear Faren's mildly shaken voice, bringing your attention to the sleepy boy who had fallen asleep in your chair. You see Celsa asleep on the floor, two blankets over her and four pillows around her.

"She sure can sleep through anything." You mumble, looking to Faren again. They both had gotten more used to being in their "human" forms, so they had clothes like pajamas and normal, day-to-day clothing. But that was mostly irrelevant at the moment.

"Mom?..."

"Oh yeah. I uh... Yeah. I had a bad dream... You can go stay with Monty for a while if you want to get some good sleep." You offer, shaking your head in a lack of self approval.

"Okay... if you say so, mom..." He said, standing and picking up Celsa. You sit still, almost motionless in your bed as Faren used one hand to type a code into your window lock and open the window to leave.

"You know that we love you, mother. Don't ever believe otherwise." Faren said as he left, holding his sister in hand as he snuck over to see Montana. You looked to your phone, the brightness being too much for it still being dark out.

"It's only four in the morning?..." You quietly asked yourself as you stood. You ran your fingers through your hair, sighing as you opened the camera app to see how awful- I mean... awesome you looked this morning. You noticed how much worse your eye bags looked, how clammy your skin looked, how bloodshot your eyes were... it didn't look good. Oh and your most recent scars on your lip, left cheek, and left eyebrow. Oh, and the old scar on the bridge of your nose from your first ever fight.

"Ugh, looks like another weekend of torture with April trying to be nice and Monty trying to convince me to be nice back." You groan, putting on some different clothes to wear to go out. You texted Monty that you had some stuff to do, knowing that she'd see it because she had just been woken up by Faren knocking on her window. The feeling of fresh air from the window had slowly depleted, leaving nothing except the scent of metal and self loathing.