Chapter 25

Isaac

"Listen, I know we didn't have the best start and we never really liked each other's company but you have to understand that what you're asking of me is too much" she sighed and I could feel her voice getting heavier with each word that came out of her mouth.

"I know you still think I married you for money but it's not true, after losing the people you love most in this world you realise what life really is : it's not about money or how high you are in the social ladder, it's all about having someone you can rely on. I can't do this you know, I can't go on any longer, my shoulders can't bear the burden anymore and I really want someone with whom I can share my happiness and sorrow with... please don't deprive me of it with your stupid condition" a sob escaped her lips which made me feel like a jerk for coming up with such a pathetic plan.

"Why aren't you saying something?" she asked looking up at me, there was so much pain in her doe eyes, I wanted to reach over and comfort her but I refrained myself from doing so.

"What do you want me to say?" I asked keeping my gaze on her.

"Let me go... please" she requested with tears streaming down her face, she was trying her best to not cry but it wasn't working.

"I swear I don't have another lover, I just told you what I want to do with my life, there's no one waiting for me, I'll have to find my prince charming on my own" she continued and I could feel myself giving in, it's not unknown to me how much she has gone through in the past few months.

"I'm afraid I can't, you know very well how reputed my family is, after you divorce me all sorts of people would want to hang out with you, date you, even marry you just to get you to speak about what goes on inside the Reid family and what went down between you and me, they'll want to marry you just to make the Reid family look inferior, by stopping you from dating for atleast three years I'll be able to stop unwanted rumours flying around me" I explained, even I think this is petty but it is what it is, if it works then there won't be anything petty about it.

"Don't you trust me? I've known Phil since I was a little girl and my father taught me well about how I should never tell anyone about our acquaintance with the Reids... besides if I was going to spill the beans on you I wouldn't need to date someone for it... next thing I know you'll bar me from hanging out with my friends as well" she said in exasperation.

"That'll be on the contract as well" I added and her expression went from annoyed to that of utter shock.

"What do I do then? What will make you drop these conditions from our divorce agreement?" she asked and I smiled inwardly, now we're talking.

"Act like a couple for six months like we agreed to then you can go and date whoever you want, hang out with your friends and live your life the way you want to" I said.

"What?!"

"Yes"

"But I thought you hated me, how can you be the one to say this when all you've ever wanted was to get rid of me? Every chance you get, you make sure to let me know just how much you dislike me-" I cut her off mid speech.

"Shut up woman, don't flatter yourself, I'm doing this for my family and its reputation, I never really thought about it but if we get divorced so soon it'll tarnish my reputation, and it'll affect the company that my father worked so hard to build so shush"

"Okay, I get it, let's act like a couple for six more months... atleast Phil and Ethan know the truth, we won't have to pretend infront of them" she took a deep breath.

"Great" I commented and stood up to get changed for the night, taking out my clothes from the closet, I remembered a question she asked me earlier tonight about whether I trust her or not and thought it necessary to answer her.

After coming out of the closet with my  clothes draped over my shoulder, I answered her question "I don't trust you" and with that I disappeared inside the bathroom, I felt like an idiot right now, why did I decide to open my mouth? Trying to hurt her so that I don't appear weak is just making me feel like a loser.

I turned on the shower and let the cold water hit me, maybe this will help me come to my senses because I don't know what I'm doing with the girl who I swore I'd never like, maybe Ethan was right, maybe knowing that she didn't marry me for money has changed my perspective on her, maybe I like staring into her doe eyes.

God this is crazy... I'm crazy!

When she told me she's just looking for someone she can rely on, it really stirred something inside me, she looked so defeated and broken at that moment, it didn't feel right that I was giving her such a harsh ultimatum in exchange for divorce when it was me from the beginning who couldn't wait to get rid of her.

After our argument I went straight to my office and called my lawyer to start the process, I was so ready to divorce her but then I overheard dad and Ethan in the corridor, they thought I had taken the day off which was true, they didn't know I had gone there to call on my lawyer.

I clearly remember what dad said and it was at that moment that I made up my mind, for dad's sake I'll have to fake this marriage for some time.

"Even though I've told Isaac that he and Amber should get divorced as soon as possible, I can't help but think about what people would say, it'll really tarnish our family's reputation in the business world, you know businessmen never get married for love, it's always business for them but the Reid family is known for keeping business aside from personal matters, imagine what people would say when the headlines reads 'Billionaire Isaac Reid divorces wife within a month after marriage', I'm even more worried about Amber and how she'll be treated after falling down from the social ladder so quickly after climbing it, it'll definitely take a toll on her" my father really loves Amber I thought at that moment and then heard Ethan say "Don't worry dad, I have a feeling Isaac won't rush into divorcing her, she's the only woman who doesn't want his money and isn't afraid to talk back, I'm sure she's going to work her magic on Isaac" and with that they went off.

What Ethan said didn't bother me but dad's words were ringing in my ears, after knowing just how hard he has worked to keep our company at the top, I can't let my hatred for Amber ruin it, maybe I can tolerate her for six more months for my father's sake, the man has sacrificed so much for me and it's time I do the same for him.