Chapter 12

Unsullied Barracks, Astapor

Boyd:

When I leave my quarters I share with Mossador and the other ninety-eight Unsullied, I know that I don't have to worry about anyone stopping me and asking where I'm going because there are Unsullied guards guarding the gates, but there are none patrolling around the Barracks. I find two Unsullied guarding one of the Handlers' quarters but they let me in without a question, probably because they see a loyal Unsullied like them, but I'm not.

The reason I'm here is because the Unsullied aren't just conditioned to be loyal to and obey the Good Masters and whoever buys them, they're conditioned to obey whoever holds a whip that symbolizes command and ownership over them. All the Handlers have command whips and I intend to kill all of them and take the whips. If I was just Boyd, I would probably hesitate, but I'm not. I'm Boyd with an Unsullied's training and conditioning and anger. I don't hesitate.

With glowing Alpha red eyes helping me see even better than Moonlight, I stealthily kill all ten of the Handlers in the first quarters and leave with one command whip in hand. I close the door behind me and command the two Unsullied guards to follow me to my quarters. They see the command whip and follow me without question.

"Mossador!" I wake the other Unsullied up when I enter our quarters, but I ignore them for now. "That's your name again."

"This One…"

"You're Mossador again," I interrupt him, and show him and the other Unsullied the command whip in my hand.

"This One is Mossador again," he repeats obediently, emotionless; I don't feel guilty, but I know I should. "This one is pleased to serve you, Master."

He doesn't really mean it. It's an automatic response drilled into all Unsullied.

"We're not slaves anymore, Mossador," I tell him. "I'm not your master. I want to be your Alpha and for you to be my first Beta. If this is what you want too, give me your hand and I'll turn you into a werewolf and my first Beta. If you want to leave, you can leave."

I finally listen to the full Moon's call to shape-shift into my werewolf form for the very first time since I woke up in this world so that Mossador and the other Unsullied can see what a werewolf looks like. I don't know what I look like now as a werewolf, but the Unsullied in the room take up their weapons, but they don't attack. Mossador gives me his hand after a moment.

Eyes glowing Alpha red, my teeth that of a wolf and fingernails turned into long and thick sharp claws, I grab hold of his arm and Bite his forearm and wait with a racing heart. The waiting is short, for there's a full Moon tonight. Mossador's eyes are the first to shift, from human brown to cold Beta blue, the cold blue eyes telling everyone that he has killed an innocent person, a baby, like all Unsullied must to gain a shield in completion of the Unsullied training.

His first transformation under the full Moon is nothing like mine was in my original body. His transformation is smooth and he's not uncontrollably violent because of the extreme discipline drilled into him, me and the other Unsullied. I feel our Alpha-Beta connection form and I don't feel alone anymore.

"How do you feel?" I ask Mossador curiously.

"This One feels strong, Alpha," he says with muted emotion in his voice, which is better than it being completely emotionless.

And I detect a little of that earlier curiosity and interest.

"You didn't exchange one master for another, Mossador," I tell him, but I know that I'm lying. "I call you by your name, you can call me by mine."