Chapter 17

A/N
The watermelon story is actually a true story. It happened at the Fourth of July. 😂😂 hope you guys enjoy! Thanks for reading!

*Mary's POV*
--Time Skip to Thanksgiving Break--

I pulled into the driveway of my Mom's house. Once parked, I opened the door to the little blue rental car that I picked up at the airport and stepped out. I walked up the short stone pathway to the porch. I had to pick my huge suitcase up off the ground in order to get it through the door. And being clumsy little me, the suitcase made it in the door fine but I tripped over my own feet and landed on my face.

I picked myself back up and found three people staring at me. Three people that I didn't expect to see at Thanksgiving.

"You okay there?" Hayes asked.

"I'm fine," I said while dusting myself off.

"You sure? You got laid out by a doorway!" Bre giggled.

"Shut up!"

"You still love me," she said with a cheesy grin and walked up to give me a hug.

"Man I missed you guys so much!" I barely squeezed out as the other two squished us together into a group hug.

"So did we," Nash replied.

"What are you doing here? Don't you guys spend Thanksgiving with your family?"

"Yeah but since you have Thanksgiving a day before the actual holiday with your mom I could make it and still go to my uncle's for family dinner!" Bre answered for herself.

"Yeah, and plus we have Thanksgiving dinner with our Mom the day of and out Dad the day after," Hayes explained.

"I feel bad for Nash, he has four Thanksgiving dinners this year. He's coming with me to my grandparents to meet the entire family. It's going to suck."

"Yeah, I'll gain like 50 pounds by the end of this vacation!"

I just chuckled and moved into the living room. I sat down on the couch and that's... When my mom walked in.

"Oh my goodness Mary! You're here! How are you sweetheart? I've missed you so much!" She cheered.

"Hi Mom. I've missed you too," I replied.

She rushed in and squeezed me tight in a bear hug. I could barely breath. Then Bre decided to aid in the torturing and joined in on the squeeze the life out of Mary fest.

"Oh I'm so glad you invited me Ms. Rabiteau!" Bre exclaimed while still hugging me to death.

"Me too! Oh this will be just like the Fourth of July when you guys were kids!"

Okay let me explain to you the Fourth of July. When we were kids, about 13, we met at my Mom's boyfriend's lake house. This is not the lake house in Cali that we stayed at when we grew up. That was Bre's grandmother's. Anyways, her uncle was a friend of Chris (boyfriend) and that's how we became best friends. Up until our junior year we did this every summer. But once I got my licens Bre and I went on an annual road trip on the Fourth of July. But my mom would always do everything that she could to try to entertain us. In her mind it was a lot of fun! In ours it was fun for little kids.

They finally let me go and I could breathe again. My Mom was still beeming with joy from my arrival. I love her but sometimes she can be a bit... Overly excited.

"I'm going to go get you guys snacks! Do you guys like watermelon? I hope you do 'cause you need those electrolytes. You need electrolytes to stay hydrated!" She said while walking off to the kitchen.

We all giggled a bit then went over and got comfortable on the couch. We couldn't find anything entertaining on tv so we turned on the PS4 and pulled up Netflix. We were all arguing over what to watch. I wanted to watch gossip girl, but everyone else hates that idea. Bre wanted to watch Supernatural, but none of us wanted to sit through that many episodes of the same show. Nash and Hayes kept arguing over whether batman begins or superman returns was the best DC comics movie and it just got out of hand.

"Why don't we play Madden?" Nash suggested.

Hayes and Bre jumped all over that idea. I didn't mind since I like watching video games. It's like watching a movie, but when you yell at the tv you might actually have an impact on what happens!

"Okay this will be the order. Hayes, you and Nash will go first then I will verse the champ between you two. Okay?"

"Okay I guess, but what about Mary?" Hayes asked.

"I don't like to actually play video games."

"I call the Panthers!" Nash called.

"Mary what's your favorite team?" Hayes asked me.

"Umm the Detroit Lions I guess. I don't watch that much professional football," I replied.

"Okay, I'll be them just for my girl."

And so the entertainment began. The boys, at first were subtle and quiet while playing. After a while though, they began to become a little more intense. They started shouting at the tv and the finale was that they started moving as if they were actually part of the game! After all the fun was over my man was on the brink of tears and Nash was about to play Madden with his girlfriend.

Bre was laying across Nash's lap with the controller in hand. It was the cutest thing in the world! I'm so happy for my bestie.

Let's just say that Nash was getting creamed. By a girl. It was so hilarious!

"And the score is now 48 to 14!" Hayes narrated.

When all was said and done Bre one by 41 points. It was shameful. My mom finally brought out the watermelon and some chips to the living room. We hung out for a couple more hours playing video games and catching up with each other. I just can't wait to be able to spend more time with Hayes.

This thought dwelled in my head for a little while. And I came up with a plan. "Hey can I talk to you in private for a sec?" I asked Hayes.

"Sure!"

We went into the room adjacent to the dining room and I mustered up all my courage to aske him, "do you want to spend winter break together?"

"Yeah! That sounds like a lot of fun," he chuckled.

"Great! I was hoping you'd have an idea on where to go. I usually stay home or go somewhere with my family."

"Why don't we go to Colorado and stay at a ski resort?"

"Are you serious? That'd be amazing!" I exclaimed.