14. Jealousy maybe?

In the glamorous circle of high society, Poppy was feeling so out of the place. Eventhough, Eugene was sticking with her as much as he could, the uninvited stares she was receiving from other guests was making her feel uncomfortable.

Even after feeling awkward from those gazes, somewhere in her heart she was relaxed as she hadn't come face to face with her jerk of a Boss yet and she prayed to god to keep him away from her at least for tonight. But, who will make her understand she was too oblivious of her pre-written future.

"SHIT", Eugene shouted, but nobody heard his voice as loud jazz music was playing in the background but it did attract Poppy's attention. "What happened?", she asked him.

Not bothering to answer her, he snatched her sling bag from her shoulder and rummaged inside it with his big hands. She saw him flabbergasted by his sudden action and snatched it back, giving him an angry look. "It's rude to look inside a girl's bag without her permission".

"Oh please! What will be there in that tiny little thing anyway.", Eugene said, rolling his eyes.

"What's inside doesn't matter. It's still rude. What were you looking for, by the way?"

"Something which can hide this ugly bruise from my handsome face", he said pointing his index finger towards an almost unnoticeable slightly swollen bluish bruise which was the result of one of Artemis' hard punches..

"You will need a concealer for that and I don't have one"

"Then why are you even carrying a bag with you"

Poppy gaped at him in disbelief. "I don't understand why the hell every other guy thinks that girls only carry makeup in their bags. There are a lot more essential things other than makeup like cash and phone", she made a duh face, putting some senses in Eugene's head.

"Oops! Sorry for my sexist remark, I forget that you are a hardcore feminist. Now tell me how am I supposed to hide this"

Poppy rolled her eyes upon his silly comment. He was getting on her nerves. She looked around and saw a pretty woman standing a little far away from them, who looked approachable compared to the other women in the party. An idea popped into her head and she excused herself walking towards her.

Eugene saw her approaching a woman but his eyes went wide when he got a proper look to whom she was walking to. "Shit, shit, shit", he cursed in a whisper and was about to stop her but at the same moment a huge hand rested on his wide shoulder. Turning around, he witnessed Artemis' annoyed face. He knew exactly the reason behind his scrunched face but he wanted to play along. "Hey brother!", he greeted with a wide boyish grin.

Artemis clenched his jaws over the brazen attitude of his stupid brother. How could he escort the same girl, who had insulted his own Brother. "When I told you everything about her misbehaviour, why the hell did you bring her here? And why are you even introducing her as your girlfriend to everyone, I thought you were fancying Stuart's daughter."

"Woah! Calm down, Artemis", Eugene said, holding the raging beast's shoulder. "It's not like I am in a relationship with Augustine, yet. And as far as Poppy being my girlfriend, she agreed to be one even before that incident. I have already promised her to be her partner in this party and I can't back off just like that. I can never break a promise, afterall you know how gentleman I am."

His statement made him roll his eyes. "Yes, Indeed. I know how 'gentleman' you are towards every other human being who has two fucking holes. But let me warn you, keep your pants to yourself for tonight", he warned her.

"How can you think so low of me? I know you are interested in her. But don't you worry, this boyfriend-girlfriend thing is just for the show", he mused, glancing at Artemis' precious facial reactions and he was fucking enjoying it.