four

04. Hope Is Not The Goal

"Given our recent influx of monsters,  the sheriff and I have decided we need to take drastic action" Alaric informed the whole school, "Please give him your full attention".

"Like Dr. Saltzman was saying, local girls Dana Lilien and Sasha Stoteraux didn't come home last night" Sheriff Matt Donovan informed the students, "Dana sometimes skips town for a few days to party, but this is a first for Sasha".

"Thank you, Sheriff Donovan" Alaric said, stepping back to the podium, "Now while the knife is away with Dorian and things are quiet on his end, it won't hurt to assume the worst, now, I'll need a few of you to volunteer to go to Mystic Falls High under the guise of an exchange program meant to improve relations between our schools, which, unfortunately is necessary, given recent events, now, I give you permission to compel them, to gather materials for locator spells, because any information we can get will make all the difference".

Lizzie stood up from her chair and addressed her fellow classmates, "Well, I guess that I can set aside my differences with Dana for a day, because that is what heroes do".

"Is she serious?" Nova whispered to Hope.

"She's Lizzie, of course she's serious" Hope whispered back, the two girls started laughing, causing Mia who was sitting in the middle of them, to hit the back of their heads and give the two girls a warning look.

Lizzie turned to face her father, "So, I volunteer as tribute".

Mia looked down at her lap for a second, a thoughtful expression on her face, the next second she stood up, "I volunteer as well" she said, immediately causing her brothers to glare at her and her best friends to face palm.

"Mia, battling one gargoyle doesn't make you mother Teresa, so sit down" Alex demanded, the boys sitting behind the three girls.

Mia looked at her brother, "I'm not being mother Teresa, as Lizzie said, I'm being an hero, this is what mom would have done".

Mia's words caused Asher to scoff and Alec's glare on his sister to intensify.

"I'm with Mia on this one" Nova said, standing up.

"Nova!" Asher scolded.

"St. John, sit your ass down!" an extremely annoyed Alec demanded.

"Nope" Nova said, before turning to Alaric, "I'm in as well".

Jayden shook his head at the two girls and stood up from his seat, "Count me in too".

"You guys can't give me one day off?" an annoyed Alec asked, before standing up as well, "I'm in too".

Alec and Jayden looked at Asher, "Absolutely not" Asher stated, "Today is my day off".

Mia and Nova turned to Hope, "I'm with Asher on this one, you guys enjoy this one".

"Oh we will" an excited Mia said, making her family and friend chuckle at her excitement.

***

While everyone got ready to leave, Asher and Hope decided to use the empty gym to practice their fighting.