Ten

POV: SIMON

"Where the hell have you been?"

I frowned. Lucas seemed rather irate over the phone. "At Harper's, of course," I said. "Didn't she tell you?"

"No," he said. "She has a key to my place, I told her to give it to you."

That was odd. "She never mentioned a key. So I waited until Colleen came back this morning."

"Harper gave you a phone. Or did she conveniently forget that too?"

I huffed. "She did. I don't see why I need one, you have a landline."

"I've been trying to call you last night."

"Lucas, I appreciate your concern, but I think I can manage without you checking up on me every two minutes."

"You don't understand. That girl is a devious, manipulative—"

"What girl?"

"Harper."

"What are you talking about? She was perfectly lovely."

He groaned. "You slept with her, didn't you."

I didn't know what to say to that.

"God damnit," he muttered.

"Look, I know she's a little young, but you're hardly qualified to lecture me on this."

"It's not that."

"Well, what is it, then?" I paused. "Did you and Harper..."

"What? No!"

"You can tell me, you know. I'm sure it happened before you and Madison—"

"I did not sleep with Harper, all right? But she... she's just evil."

"Harper was perfectly—"

"Lovely, I know. She also has a habit of sneaking into your bedroom while you're asleep."

"Did she sneak into your bedroom?" I raise an eyebrow. "Lucas, if you're jealous, just come out and say it."

I heared him take a deep breath, as though it would give him strength to get through this conversation. "I'm not interested in Harper. I'm worried that she'd browbeat you into sleeping with her."

"Harper is half my age and half my size, Lucas. She did not force me to do anything."

"I seriously doubt that."

"Listen, you can stop worrying, all right? I'm a grown man, I can take care of myself. She and I have agreed to part amicably and I will have no further contact with her."

"Really, she agreed to that." He didn't sound at all convinced.

"Of course. Harper is quite mature for her young age, and she understands the circumstances that make our ... interactions morally questionable."

"I'm sorry, but that girl is more tenacious than is good for her. She will stop at nothing to get what she wants." He takes another deep breath. "But I've warned you, and that's all I can do. I trust your good sense to keep out of trouble."

"Not to worry. Enjoy your vacation, Lucas. Give my love to Madison."

"Yeah thanks. But lock your bedroom door, just in case."

"Don't be ridiculous. Harper isn't going to break into the house just to have sex with me."

"Hah. You'd think that."

***

Trank was packed. I tried to avoid bumping into people as best I could, but after dodging a couple of drunk middle-aged men, I ran into someone.