Eighteen

POV: Simon

I tried not to think of what Julia might be implying by giving me something in return, if I did not want to be paid for my time.

"Maybe I could cook for you?" she said.

"Oh, er..." I glanced at our clasped hands. "That would be very nice, thank you."

Julia Miller was an attractive girl. And if I was reading the signs correctly, she seemed to be eager for more than just my knowledge of history. Better nip this in the bud before she gets it into her head that I was interested in more than just her cooking.

"Do you, uhm, like to cook for your friends?" I asked, slowly trying to extricate my hand from her grasp.

"Sometimes."

"I'm sure your boyfriend appreciates your wonderful cooking."

"He does, yeah."

My smile must have been far too cheerful but I couldn't help myself. So she had a boyfriend. Obviously, I was mistaken about her intentions. She was friendly, but not flirting with me. Perhaps, she just likes buttering up her teachers for a good grade.

"Is he a student here?" I said, suddenly very interested in whoever this guy is.

"Yeah. He's not really interested in books or history, though."

"That's too bad."

"We don't talk much when we hang out." She picked up her fork and returned to eating her lunch.

I didn't know what to say to that, so I nodded and busied myself putting my journal away.

"Could I ask for your advice on something, Professor?" she asked after a minute of silence.

I had a mouthful of pasta, so I nodded again.

She folded her arms on my desk and leaned forward, as though she were about to impart a secret. "The sex isn't good."

I coughed, trying to dislodge the food that I'd accidentally inhaled. I reached for my water bottle.

Alarmed, she got to her feet. "Are you okay?" she asked.

"Yeah," I croaked before taking a drink of water.

"I'm sorry, professor," she cooed, rushing to my side. She rubbed my back. I waved her off distractedly while I tried to clear my throat.

"I'm fine, Ms. Miller, thank you."

She leaned over me, giving me an eyeful of her cleavage. I ducked my head, forcing my attention away from her breasts and toward the remains of my lunch.

"Are you sure?" she said, genuine worry in her voice. But I kept my head turned away, so she cupped my cheek and turned my face toward her. And her round, luscious breasts straining against her low neckline. "Would you like me to take you to the clinic?"

"No, no," I protested. "I'll be okay, I promise."

"You're so stubborn— has anyone told you that?"

To my surprise, Julia pushed my bowl aside to sit on my desk. Her right leg slid between my knees, prompting me to slide my chair back against the wall. There wasn't much room, so my knee still brushed her leg.

"It's not a big deal, really." I refused to look up at her, even kept my gaze away from her legs dangling right in front of me. Not that I didn't notice the way her skirt rode up her thigh when she crossed her legs.

"You're not going to be prudish about this, are you?"

"About what, Ms. Miller?"

"About my problem with my boyfriend."