10. A Sense Of Belonging

(Tristy)

     I woke and decided to shower and put on something nice yet casual. I wore my yellow striped shirt with my thin white cardigan. I had on dark boyfriend jeans, American Eagle can have some strange names for pants, and my new yellow low top converse. Billie and Tre kept insisting on me getting converse so I did; although they tried to push me into buying black high tops, I told them they weren’t turning me into a punk that easily. I stepped out to see Mike on the couch reading the newspaper. Coffee was steaming on the table by him.

“Well good morning!” Mike grinned. He did his newscasters voice again.

“Good morning.” I waved. If this guy wasn’t in a band he’d make a killing doing radio. I gave a subtle smile back.

“There’s fresh coffee in the kitchen if you want.” I nodded. He looked back down to his paper as I stepped to the kitchen. I saw Billie cooking. It smelled really good.

“What are you making.” I startled him a bit.

“Oh hi, I’m makin bacon! Then French toast.” He smiled holding a spatula. I grabbed a coffee cup and pulled the pot from the coffee maker.

“Sounds good. I hope we don’t get food poisoning.” I smiled and he chuckled. I think my insults have turned into just something fun and a routine. I poured me a cup as he turned back to the stove. “Where’s Tre?”

“Your dad went to get Sam.”

“Ugh.” I let out before blowing at my coffee.

“I know right.” He said raising his eyebrows.

“Well I’ll let you finish cooking. Ima go see what Mike’s up to.”

“Alright.” I stepped back to the living room with coffee in hand. I made myself comfortable by Mike. There was enough space for someone else between us so I turned lifting my knee to the spot. I sat the coffee cup down behind my knee with my hands wrapped around its warmth.

“Hey Mike can I ask you something?”

“Sure thing kiddo.” He closed his paper and laid it on his lap.

“Did you know my mom when she was young?” He bit at his jaw a bit and I could tell he was thinking.

“Mmmm.. I think I met Tre right after they broke up. I do remember him mentioning her. He said she was a bit wild but not to wild. He talked about how kind and beautiful she was.” I smiled. “I do remember when he got that letter of her falling in love with another. It really broke his heart.” I started to feel a bit sad. I looked down to my coffee. “He really did love her, but he was also really young.” I nodded. “He did look for you and her. He didn’t know she had passed. I just heard this morning. I’m really sorry.”

“It’s ok.” I said lightly holding back tears. I wiped my nose and looked to him. He had a sincere look on his face. “Thanks Mike.”

“No problem.” He patted my shoulder. “Anything else you wanna talk about?” I shook my head and took a sip of coffee.

“Uh, um did Billie really write that hope you have the time of your life song?” He smiled.

“Yeah.”

“Who was it for? Like what was it really about?”

“Well…. I’m not 100% sure.. It’s damn good though.” I nodded. “It did come from a deep place though. A lot of his songs do, granted I don’t know what half of them are about, but people seem to connect to them.”

“So what songs would you suggest…. To let’s say some one new… someone who’s being introduced to your kind of music?” He grinned.

“You want to listen to our music?” I brushed his question aside with my hand.