08

the sound of trumpets filled dasom's ears, causing her to flinch slightly at the sudden noise blaring through the speakers of the building. she squinted her eyes to adjust to the light peaking through the curtains. she takes off her jacket and throws it over her face before shutting her eyes again.

she feels another foot kick gently against her calf, making her quietly groan and pull the jacket from her face and smooth her hair back down. she looks up to see jisu standing over her, "you need to get up." she spoke sternly, yet in a gentle tone.

dasom sighed, throwing her jacket off her body. she stretched out her stiff legs and arms to the best of her ability. sleeping against the leg of a desk surely wasn't good for your back, not that it really matters now when you think of the state of the world currently.

she quickly stops her movements and covers her ears as the music ends abruptly and is replaced by the screech of the broadcast announcements coming on. "survivors in the building..." she recognized the voice right away as the other college student in the building. it gave her some relief knowing he was still alive downstairs. that meant there still was somewhere safe in the building, meaning they probably won't die cramped in their current location.

"take any food, medicine, and weapons you have and come to the first floor. the first floor is quite safe for now, and it'll be safer to stay together. we survivors... must stick together. please come down. please. i repeat—"

the broadcast ended as quick as it started, returning back to the high pitched screech before cutting off completely.

silence took over the group and they quietly glanced at each other. dasom had the courage to speak up, "do..." she paused, "do you really think it's safe?"

some time had passed since the announcement as their small group thought about the best decision for them, and if the broadcast could truly be trusted.

dusik sharply breathed in, " you can't trust that announcement. will you really be okay?"

jisu gave him a small smile, "we can't keep sponging off you. we should do something."

"thank you for the meals and this." jaeheon quickly added, his finger tapping against the makeshift shield provided by dusik, "may god bless you."

dasom gave him a gentle smile from behind dusik. the genuineness of this guy was truly something she admired about him. she wasn't religious by any means, but she sure hoped he'd end up where he belonged. somewhere good after death, whenever that day comes.

"i'm buddhist." dusik nonchalantly spoke. needless to say, jaeheon stopped talking with a small nod of his head.

jisu saved his embarrassment by butting in, "if the first floor is safe, we'll come back to get you." dusik quickly shifted his gaze away from the two, "don't make a promise you can't keep. i feel like i should say farewell now."

dasom's eyes slightly widened at his response as she watched him wave at them. optimistic much? dasom may not have been the most optimistic person, but she at least wanted to act like it in front of two scared kids.

"someone once said that even the thickest darkness disappears with the faintest light." dusik, once again, crushed any optimism in the room, "is the person who said that still alive?"