XXXIII - The Upstart

Head office sent a work experience girl to my supermarket and she did a HORRIBLE job! What should I do?

Hey everyone!

So, the corporate office for the supermarket I am a head manager of (while studying for a degree in physics) offers a scheme for employees on-track to become a supervisor where they gain experience working with a successful leader in the organisation. Because of my undeniable contributions to the world of retailing, it was decided that a candidate would be sent to my store so they could gradually trial some managerial tasks. I was PISSED about this; head office know that it's a busy time for my supermarket at the moment given the imminent soft-launch of my salad bar concept, but had decided that it was a good idea to send further burdens my way regardless. I suspected that corporate espionage was afoot.

Anyway, once I received the notification that the candidate had arrived, I made my way to reception and was greeted with an immediately concerning sight. The woman standing before me was significantly older than I had expected her to be (like, 27), and she was wearing a dark green business-woman outfit, and HEELS. This was a terrible start, and I informed her that since she is not technically a manager, I would be forced to request that she change into a regular uniform. I am 100% committed to situationally-appropriate footwear, and I knew that we would have to find her something more befitting for this line of work. Unfortunately the female restrooms were closed for their weekly-scheduled redecoration, so I told her that she could get changed in the break room.

I was mostly satisfied with her appearance once she had changed her outfit; I found her shade of lipstick choice to be somewhat alarming, but I let this one go in the interest of graciousness. I then realised that I did not know her name (it was Susie). Once I had gleaned this intelligence, I told her that the ambient grocery team could use some help transferring products to the shelves, and that she was to report for duty there.

I turned on my heels and was about to walk to my office to finalise some legal documents for the upcoming launch of my salad bar concept, when I heard the beginnings of a mewl of protest behind me. Whirling to face Susie once again, she told me that she had thought she would be doing managerial work during this time. It had only been ten minutes and I was already exasperated by this specimen. I informed her that she would be given work of such a station IF the need arose.

I then clattered off to my office for an hour of paperwork processing before going to talk to my friend Marlene down in the stationary department. I had recently given her a job after the boat she used to teach gymnastics on sank, and I wanted the chance to catch-up with her about recent events. Specifically, I still had to tell her about what had happened with Zelda-Mae and Debra on the oil rig a couple of days ago.

I spotted Marlene next to the new range of black and white highlighter pens that my store was premiering and approached her. I could see that she had accessorised her uniform attractively with a red leather jacket and black suede heels; this would send a very positive message for potential stationary customers. Anyway, once I caught up with her I told her about the events of the oil rig and her jaw dropped open for SO long. Before she had switched sides and we had become friends, Marlene had acted in league with Brindie, and so I wanted to know if she had known that Zelda-Mae had been leading a deadly double life.

Before she could respond, we were chillingly interrupted by a jagged voice SCREAMING down the aisle "Marlene what the FUCK are you wearing this is not regulation uniform".

I gravitated towards the sound and, to my disgust, I saw that it has originated from the voice-box of Susie! As I strode towards her, I noticed that she was holding a very presumptuous looking clipboard with something clipped on to it. When I reached her vicinity, I realised that it was the sample page from a printer when you ask it to do a test print, which sharply piqued my displeasure; I had made a point to issue Susie with ZERO printing credit after her display of insolence during our first meeting, so she must have wasted mine (which is unlimited, but that's completely irrelevant to the point at hand) on this senseless endeavour.