Twelve

"You could bleed me dry and I'd still fall at your feet," 

"Let me assure you, pain comes in many forms and I happen to be quite adept at exploring them all,"

───☆⋅☾⋅☆───

Three months had passed since Ragnar's journey to Valhalla. It had been three months since I bared my heart in a whirlwind of emotions to Sihtric, leaving a trail of confusion in its wake.

Now residing within the confines of Cookham, Uhtred's estate, I found myself seated outside, straddling a weathered bench, my focus consumed by the rhythmic motion of sharpening my daggers. A familiar voice disrupted my solitary task.

"Every time I stumble upon you, it seems those blades are being sharpened," Aldhelm observed, his gaze tracing the glinting steel in my hands. I offered a wry smile in response. "I prefer those on the receiving end of these blades to keenly feel the bite of these edges," I replied, punctuating my words with a casual shrug.

"Come to retrieve Aethelflaed?" I inquired, my eyes flickering in the direction from which Uhtred and Aethelflaed emerged. With a nod, Aldhelm confirmed my assumption, and we awaited their departure. Once alone, Uhtred beckoned me to his side, and we settled before a crackling fire.

"Still no news?" I ventured, taking my place opposite him. Uhtred shook his head, and I emitted a thoughtful hum, prodding at the flames with a stick. His reproachful glance met my own mischief-laden eyes. "What? I am bored," I retorted, and a chuckle escaped Uhtred's lips.

"We haven't had any action in months," I remarked, pointing out the unsettling calm that enveloped our surroundings. Uhtred, dismissed my concerns "That's a good thing, little devil." Yet, both of us understood the ephemeral nature of such peace, especially in the company of Uhtred.

"Are you awaiting Sihtric's return to properly confess?" Uhtred's inquiry pierced through the haze of my thoughts, prompting a swift turn of my head in his direction. "Don't feign ignorance of our knowledge regarding your situation" he continued, and I emitted a disapproving tut.

"He just had to be a rat," I grumbled, and Uhtred's laughter reverberated in the space between us. "We both know the feelings are mutual," he declared, and I shook my head.

"Since then, you've not lay with another man," Uhtred remarked, and a grimace contorted my features as he ventured into uncomfortable territory. "Nor has he bedded anyone, not even a glance toward the whorehouses," Uhtred pointed out, igniting a flicker of satisfaction within me, concealed beneath a facade of nonchalance.

"He hasn't humped a woman in three months?" I queried, feigning indifference, while Uhtred nodded, puzzled by my astonishment. "He is a man," I declared matter-of-factly, "you men hump like it's a lifeline," I added with a derisive laugh, to which Uhtred scoffed.

"No we do not" he protested, prompting me to rise with a playful spring, my foot connecting with the dying embers of the fire. "Of course," I smirked, turning to depart, only to feel a sudden impact against my back. Whirling around, I caught sight of a fallen stick, Uhtred's laughter ringing in the air.

"Child," I called out as he laughed.

──☆⋅☾⋅☆──

I reclined fully in the soft grass, idly flipping my dagger into the air and deftly catching it. The resonant voices of men grew louder, signalling their return, and a smirk danced across my lips as familiarity enveloped me.