Chapter 2

Hot shot was in Cook Children's Hospital. Hot shot had just found out he has a brain tumor and that the tumor is cancer. Hot shot is a bit worried and nervous. He was a bit unsure of what cancer was and such. He was thinking about many things. He was worried about how scared his parents looked. He was worried if the rest of the family was worried. He was worried what would it be like when he started school. He was wondering if he was going to be okay. He was worried about all the treatments that he was going to go through. He was worried about his new friends who also had brain tumors like him. He was worried if things might go wrong. He was worried about many things.

Hot shot was finding hard to sleep. He found hard to sleep because of his worrying, the soreness of his chest due to the Hickman line being placed earlier that day and because of a nurse coming in every once and a while. Quickshadow could see that her son was having trouble sleeping and was feeling a bit uneasy. "Hot shot is something wrong?" Quickshadow asked.

"I am thinking about everything that has just happened," Hot shot said. "I find out I have a brain tumor and then I find out it is cancer. Then I find out I have to get treatment for a long time. I have to stay in the hospital for a while. I don't know much about my treatments, and fearing what it would be like to experience them," he said. "Finding out I will have one or more scars and finding out about losing my hair," he said. "I just feeling... feeling..." he said.

"Overwhelmed?" Quickshadow asked.

"Yes," Hot shot said.

"That is normal," Quickshadow said. "You have just got news and went through a lot during all this time," she said. "It is normal to feel that way," she assured him. "There is a few things the doctors need to do tomorrow and then they will say when your first surgery is," she told him. "I also got into contact with a special organization called the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation, they help kids with brain tumors like you and their families," she said. "I told them about your diagnosis and the type of tumor you have and your age, and how recently you were diagnosed, they just recently got into contact with me and told me they were going to help us and you were now one of their stars," she told him.

"Cool," Hot shot said.

"They also have some videos you can watch to help understand your diagnosis and what you may go through," Quickshadow said.

"Oh okay," Hot shot said.

"Now you better get some rest tomorrow is going to be a busy day," Quickshadow told him.

"Okay," Hot shot said.

The next morning the sun rose over the clouds. It's light began to spill through the windows of the hospital. Hot shot woke up and when he did he saw it was morning. Hot shot was soon being checked over by a nurse who took some blood. Hot shot got some breakfast too. Hot shot began to eat his breakfast and his mother handed him his tablet that had the videos pulled up on it.

Hot shot watched the videos that explained about learning he has cancer, about surgery, and about what cancer was. Hot shot was amazed about how the videos explained these things. It helped him feel better. Hearing that the cancer wasn't his fault and it is okay to feel many things after being diagnosed was okay too. He learned about what cancer was and it could happen any part of the body. He also learned about surgery and how it will help get rid of the cancer in his brain. Hot shot was happy these videos were there.

Hot shot was then taken out of his room to other parts of the hospital. Hot shot was getting a check up from several different doctors. They were checking on him to make sure he was ready for his surgery which was scheduled for first thing tomorrow.

Hot shot had many other things checked to see if the cancer was spreading or not. It was to determine things like the best types of medicine to use.

"Hot shot you are looking good so far and you are going to be okay to do surgery tomorrow," Dr. Zhao said. "Dr. Hansen said your surgery is going to be at 8:30 in the morning so you will be up bright and early for your surgery," she said.