Chapter 1: Bad Impression

Ellie adjusted her skirt nervously as she walked along the sidewalk toward her new school. The morning sun cast a warm glow over the neighborhood, but her thoughts were consumed with the impending challenge ahead. She glanced at her watch; thankful she had left home early. Arriving before anyone else meant a chance to settle in without drawing too much attention.

She chuckled to herself, she could be considered a seasoned transfer student who'd lost count of how many times she'd started over in new cities. Each move brought a blend of anxiety and indifference. Today was no different.

Ellie had learned the art of blending in while keeping a low profile. She knew the routine well: find a quiet corner in the classroom, choose a seat strategically away from the spotlight, and observe quietly until the lay of the land became clearer.

Truthfully, Ellie was worried. Being the new student mid-semester wasn't ideal. Friendships had already been forged, alliances formed, and she was, navigating the unfamiliar terrain alone. But her parents never seemed to grasp how difficult these adjustments were for her. Whenever they decided to move, they dropped everything and did it, focusing on their reasons without fully considering Ellie's feelings or the impact on her life. She found herself yet again, thrust into a new school, grappling with a sea of unfamiliar faces and the daunting task of fitting in once more.

"I'll probably be alone all year again," she mused quietly while covering more distance. The area around her shifted from a busy city to a quieter, rural setting. Ellie walked along a narrow road bordered by fields of green and yellow rice plants. In the distance, rugged mountains rose against the sky, their peaks covered in thin mist. The air felt fresh and clean, carrying the faint smell of soil and the soft sound of a nearby stream.

Small, cozy houses dotted the landscape, their wooden walls worn by years of sun and rain. Each house had its charm, with bright flowers growing in pots and laundry hanging on lines stretched between poles. Chickens pecked at the ground, and dogs lounged lazily, watching Ellie with mild curiosity as she passed by.

As Ellie continued walking, she took in the calm atmosphere of the countryside. It was a stark change from the busy city life she was used to and she doesn't know if she's going to like it.

Lost in her thoughts at an intersection, Ellie didn't notice the bike lane. A sudden whoosh of air and a blur of motion snapped her back to reality. A speeding bike veered dangerously close, causing her to instinctively brace herself. Just as panic set in, a strong tug on her arm pulled her back, saving her from a potential collision.

Startled and relieved, Ellie turned to thank her savior—a boy about her age, also in the school uniform. His warm brown eyes held a mix of concern and relief, mirroring her own emotions. He had a friendly face, with sleek, dark hair that was neatly styled, giving him a refined appearance. His confident demeanor and reassuring presence suggested he might be an honor student or involved in the student council. Ellie managed a shaky smile, feeling grateful beyond words for his timely intervention.

"Are you okay?" he asked, his voice soft.

"Yeah, thank you," Ellie replied, still catching her breath. "That was close."

He nodded, his expression easing into a reassuring smile. "You're new here," he observed, making Ellie wonder how he knew.

Did he keep track of every student's attendance? She chuckled softly at her random thoughts.

"Be careful out here. It can get hectic, see you around" he added kindly.

"Thanks for your help," she murmured.

Ellie blushed, watching him walk away. She was momentarily stunned by his confidence—perhaps too taken by a boy she might never see again, or maybe she would. They were schoolmates, after all, so there was a chance their paths would cross again.