тωσ

αѕнєя

Standing in front of the class again after the break seemed kind of foreign. I had started lecturing the previous year but every time I found myself in front of the class, it always felt new. I heard it was always like that until you get used to the feeling.

I stood there watching the students settle in, as the clock finally struck 8am, I began my class with a little introduction.

"Good morning class!". I said and they all echoed a "Good morning".

"Welcome to ART 101, that is Introduction to Drawing". I said, bringing out my white board marker and scribbled;

ART 101
INTRODUCTION TO DRAWING.

"I am Asher Brooks, and I would be taking you through this course". I continued.

Taking my time to give in-depth explanations on the course and what they were to expect, most of them wrote in their notes as I spoke.

There was a huge smile on my face as I saw them eager to learn. It reminded me of just when I was in those seats.

"Most of you are here because you once drew a sketch of something random and you were praised for it, your parents might have told you how talented you are and you must have felt art is your path. For some, you simply love art and want to learn more about it. However, art is beyond simple talent, it is passion, your ability to work hard on achieving what you really want, your dedication......."

I was cut off by the sound of the door opening. I immediately recognized the student who walked through the door, it was the girl from yesterday!

She looked quite different from yesterday. Yesterday, her hair was tied in a messy bun and it looked quite rough and she had sweat dripping from her face, must have been the stress.

Today, she looked rather beautiful, her long, brown, wavy hair was left to flow. She wore a nice, short green skirt and a black top, a pair of black low heels and a nice black bag. She was wearing makeup but made it light enough to look natural. I must say, red does look good on her lips.

A smile crept on my face as she stood there shocked to see me. I bet she never imagined I would be her professor.

I checked the time and it was exactly 8:26 am. She was 26 minutes late to my class! I ignored her and continued with my class while she found her way to a seat at the back.

"I was saying, it's about your dedication and of course, always being on time". I added, my eyes lingering on her.

She immediately looked away, embarrassed. She definitely knew I was referring to her.

I continued the class till exactly 10am and decided to conclude with their first assignment.

"Before we all leave, I'd like to leave you all with something to play with until our next meeting. I want you all to place your hands on a flat surface, carefully observe it. Notice the shapes, lines, and contours. Pay attention to the proportions and relationships between different parts of the hand. Then draw it out".

There was a little protest from a few of the class who felt this might be something difficult.

"It is just your hand! I would love to see what you can all do". I explained to them and dismissed the class.

As I packed my things and they all left, I caught sight of the girl again and decided to keep her behind.

"Miss. Luggage! Wait behind". I called out.

Everyone looked back wondering who I was talking to but she immediately knew it was her. She had a little talk with the girl beside her and waited behind.

Once the class was empty, I finally spoke up "Why were you late to my class?"

"I woke up late". She replied, staring down at the floor.

No, she wasn't doing that yesterday when she accused me of being rude.

"I see... I'm pretty sure you were aware of today's class but woke up late. I do not condone lateness and for that, I would have to discipline you".

Her eyes shot up like she wasn't expecting that. "Sir?" She blurted out.

"Yes, meet me in the studio at exactly 5pm, you'd be getting it ready for use". I instructed her and picked my books to leave.

"It is Norman sir". I heard her say.

I turned around unsure of what she meant. "You said?"

"Janelle Norman and not Miss. Luggage". She said and I nodded in understanding.

"Okay. See you by 5, Miss. Norman". I replied and left.

As I returned to my office, I questioned myself for my attitude. I wondered if it was because of our encounter the previous day or if it actually was because she arrived late to my class.

I just didn't really like ladies who are clumsy. She was laying there with her luggage over her just yesterday and acted entitled to my help. It was her again who came late to my class and the attitude at which she corrected me about her name.

Everything about her just annoyed me but when she sat there in class taking notes and biting her lower lips whenever she was confused, she did look cute.

Not that I was looking at her in class or anything. Maybe I just couldn't help but notice her. However, I just wanted another year of teaching art without any issues.

Being an art professor has been my life long dream and I was there already, I don't want to have to question the actions I take, nor do I want a student who annoys me by just looking at her.

I just hope this year goes well!