тнιятєєη

Janelle

There was just something comfortable about Damien. As we sat on the little sofa he had up here in his tree cottage, we munched on pizza talking about ourselves.

"I like my older brother more, he is just more understanding..." I trailed off as I spoke about my family.

We spent more time talking, eating, laughing, it was all fun until... "Damn, it's past 9pm". He said as his phone screen lit up.

"I really have to go then". I told him.

We immediately cleaned up and got ready to leave. As we sat in his car, he paused like he had something to say. He slowly turned to face me, I was in the passenger's seat trailing all his movements with my eyes.

"I really like you Janelle, since the first day you came late to class looking all flustered". He finally said, my heart beating fast in my chest.

I wasn't expecting him to lay that off on me yet, and I wasn't sure how to turn him down. A certain someone came to my head, reminding me of why I left home to begin with.

I struggled with finding the right words to say, the best way to tell him..."You don't have to respond yet". He told me, bringing me out of my misery.

I adjusted in my seat, my face fell, feeling sorry. "I'm sorry Damien". Was all I could say.

There was absolute silence till we got to the dorm, it wasn't awkward but not entirely comfortable. With a warm, sad smile, he bade me goodbye.

"See you in school on Monday?" I asked, trying to make sure things were fine.

"See you Monday". He replied.

....

Professor Brooks was already standing in front of the class when I arrived, I wasn't late, in fact, I was some minutes early. Damien was in class already as well, I pulled Hadley with me to sit beside him, not sparing the Prof a glance.

"Hey Damien". I chirped.

He smiled widely at me, maybe happy that I chose to sit with him. "Janelle..." He turned to Hadley and said hi as well.

"Alright, let's all get settled down now... The class is about to begin". Professor Brooks announced causing all the students to find their seats and get quiet.

"Someone is in a terrible mood". Hadley whispered with a mocking smile.

"Aired his text today too". I told her. He had texted me that morning as well and I had ignored him.

Hi Janelle... Can't wait to see you in class today😘

Guess he was still mad because I ignored his message. He was grumpy all through the class, his eyes bulged each time my hand and Damien's touched or if we got any close.

Damien oblivious to everything placed his arms around me and whispered in my ear "What do you say we hang out later today again?"

"Mr. Williams, can you focus more on the class or take your little date out of my class". His deep voice vibrated across the room, he was almost yelling. Only Hadley and I understood what was going on.

Damien adjusted and focused for a while but occasionally we made contacts and the Prof got mad each time.

"You can come get your paintings back, they've been graded". Professor Brooks said as the class came to an end.

Damien shivered, "is it just me or the Prof was being aggressive?"

"It isn't just you darling". I assured him, my hand on his shoulder.