Chapter 16

Good Die Young

Death.

It doesn't always offer the peace that people imagine. It's a painful experience not only for loved ones, but the deceased. The only comfort comes from the memories that surface in the moments of your passing.

Memories flood your mind of everything that was good. The laughter, your loved ones coming together for the holidays, the list goes on. It's remarkable how your entire life flashes before your eyes in just one fleeting moment at the end.

You never realize what you had until it's gone.

When it happened, I wasn't met with the familiar embrace of life, but with an unsettling void. There was no warmth, no sensation of my breath filling my lungs, only a deep absence. I tried to move, reach for something, but my limbs remained still, unresponsive to my desperate commands.

I didn't want to face the truth, death had claimed me. I now existed in a realm of shadows, of Ghosts. I was disconnected from the real world I was just beginning to figure out.

At first, there is a sense of disbelief, of denial. How could I be here in this place of darkness, when moments ago I was alive and full of purpose? But as the moments passed, acceptance washed over me like a gentle tide, easing the rough edges of my consciousness.

His face was the last thing I saw. Ghost. I always denied it, but he had haunted my dreams, silently creeping into my heart.

Perhaps this was the symbolic allegory of my life. It seemed fitting that Ghost would be the one to grace my final moments. He was my destiny, my guiding presence throughout life's journey. Maybe he had always been there, silently preparing to guide me into the next realm. He represented my purpose in life, the driving force behind his unwavering presence throughout my voyage.

"Hattie."

Nothing.

"Sweetie."

My eyes fluttered open, greeted by the familiar comfort of my own bed. I looked around, but no one could be seen. Without thought, my body took me to the railing overlooking my kitchen. Flowers adorned my kitchen counter, arranged in my favorite hues.

The scent of the flowers filled the air, bringing a wave of tranquility. I was safe now. I was okay.

The black oversized shirt acted as a dress on my figure. I didn't know how I got it, but it instantly made me feel at home, even though I already was.

I made my way down the stairs to my kitchen counter. There was a written note placed delicately in between the vases of flowers. My fingertips grazed the white sheet of paper, before taking it in my hands.

I brushed my hair out of my eyes as I sat down on the counter, reading the note.

My dearest Hattie,

As I write this letter, my heart aches with the love and longing I have for you. Although I am no longer by your side in the physical world, my spirit remains intertwined with yours, forever bound by the unbreakable bond of a mother's love.

My sweet girl, know that not a moment goes by when I am not thinking of you, watching over you, and guiding you on your journey from above. It pains me to know that I cannot be there to hold you in my arms, to wipe away your tears, or to share your triumph and joys. But please, take comfort from the cherished moments we shared on the ranch together. Let them serve as a beacon of light in the darkest of times.

As you navigate life through life's hard journey, remember that I am with you every step of the way, whispering words of encouragement and showering you with love from afar. Treasure the precious moments we shared, hold them close to your heart, and let them serve as a source of strength and inspiration.